or Connect

Posts by melgross

The fall is interesting because the bank hike was designed to raise the ruble, which is what happened right after the hike was announced. The ruble rose by 9% at first. I wonder why it's fallen so much shortly after that. Russia's economy is in no danger of and collapse soon, but they are in a recession, and inflation is 9%. The biggest problem for them now, is that they're oil production is inefficient, with equipment that's not up to western standards. With most of...
Ooh! I've explained this some time ago. As someone who previously was an electronics manufacturer, I know secrets. Companies can claim shipped numbers that aren't really correct. There's a trick to that if they do sell a lot of product through some distributors or retailers, and so are friendly with them.So let's simplify this for the sake of the argument, and use numbers that are exaggerated for the sake of the argument.So a manufacturer ships a million devices to a major...
Not having read the report, I can't say whether it's them making the mistake or not. The brand name for the entire line of phones remains Nokia, not Microsoft. So Gartner could be labeling the line that way. Until it changes, but acknowledging that Microsoft now owns that line. But our writer should be calling them Microsoft phones.Microsoft has 18 months from the date of the sales to change the name of the line from Nokia to whatever they want to call it. Of they come up...
I see I'm beat in posting that here are no longer phones made by Nokia. it's Microsoft. Writers who don't seem to know the most basic facts get me bothered. I see this everywhere these days, even in the professional Publications.
I have a link somewhere, and if it's still working, I'll provide it later.Apple seems to have bifurcated their process here. The secure enclave on their ARM chip, which supposedly has also been modified, stores the fingerprint data, and we know how that works.But with the newer Apple Pay, they are using a secure portion of that chip for you credit card, and other information. I don't know exactly how it works, but it's why I've got the NFC chip in my iPad Air 2. Without...
I don't think you get investing, by those first remarks, so I'll let that go.But you don't get the rest either. When Apple first came out with Touch ID, it was called a gimmick too. Was it? Is it? No, it's not. As we all know by now, security is the biggest problem we have as computer users. Passwords are being called useless by security researchers. They are calling for more secure methods. Methods which just happen to be biometric scans.It's foolishness to think that...
Because it wasn't accurate enough, and was unreliable.This is a feature that must work all the time, and be very accurate, and highly secure. Otherwise it's a gimmick, and worthless.
Intel has had secure enclaves for ten years. It's not new.
Yes, that was years ago. Several problems with those.Plastic was used to cover the sensor, and as it became glazed over with use, reading became impossible.The sensor had a low resolution, so it didn't always read the fingerprint, and would read the wrong fingerprint. Reliability, even when new, rarely exceeded 98%, not nearly good enough.The software was more primitive, and had a difficult time in discriminating between various prints, particularly with the low Rez...
It's complicated. But Apple atores Apple Pay in the NFC chip. They store Touch ID info in the ARM chip. This isn't a situation that can't be overcome easily. Intel also has a secure enclave within many x86 chips, and has for ten years. It's mostly used for secure boot, and OS encryption. There's no reason why Apple couldn't use that instead of the one in the ARM chip. I don't know if the chip Apple uses for all of their machines includes the enclave, but I imagine they...