or Connect

Posts by melgross

At the beginning of the thread, in my response to SpamSandwich, the first sentence:"Intel is making a few smaller lower performance 14nm chips, just recently begun. But the majority of their 14nm production is well behind original estimates, by about two years!"
Not really. That's a special edition of "Windows" called RT. That's an ARM edition of Windows that doesn't run Windows software. It runs the Modern UI. It doesn't run on x86. It's Microsoft's answer to iOS, it hasn't done well.
That's why we've been reading that it will be a problem. I don't know what Apple can do other than to make minor CPU refreshes. The entire industry is dependent on this.
Well, if they are coming out with a four core A8, I don't think they can do it. If they do come out with a new two core chip with inter chip links, they may be able to. But talking about a Mac of some kind with this still presents problems, because now you're talking about emulation again, and we all know how well that worked out for them in the past. Estimates are that a chip that needs to emulate another processor family needs to be about five times as powerful to run an...
These are the ultra low power Broadwell chips. I said that the low power, low end chips will be seen by the end of the year. But the bigger, higher power chips will be delayed further. Notice that you won't find anything about them.I first forgot to include this link:http://www.macrumors.com/2014/07/09/broadwell-early-to-mid-2015/
I would rather see Apple do something else entirely. If they instead increased per core performance significantly again, as they have been doing, and added inter chip communication the way Intel has done with the Xeon, then Apple would have a lot of opportunities. The chip could still be used in the phone, where I disagree with your contention that it's powerful enough. But in an ipad, Apple Apple could use two of these two core SoC's. They could then get perhaps four...
If you need the full power of your graphics card, Bootcamp is still the only way to go. The same is true if you need all of your RAM.
That's an obsolete estimate, as it's been pushed back to second half of 2015.
Intel is making a few smaller lower performance 14nm chips, just recently begun. But the majority of their 14nm production is well behind original estimates, by about two years! They've continually been delaying production. Quite frankly, 14nm is such a bear, that I was surprised that Intel announced, several years ago, that they would be continuing their two year tick tock cycle. It's at four years now, and running, as we won't know its second half of 2015 schedule which...
That has nothing to do with it. This is a publicly announced proposal, and the public will take it that way.