or Connect

Posts by melgross

Ok, this is where investors who aren't very successful get their nut broken.How do you know a vehicle is at a high? You only know historically. That is, with hindsight..A while ago, a friend had about $100,000 in cash to invest. He has a fair investment portfolio, though he doesn't really invest, as he has a managed account (the thought of which, gives me the shivers). He asked, as I'm an Apple guy, whether he should get some Apple. I told him to do that. Apple was at...
I don't know, that's a tough one.Feh! Invested in Microsoft for a bit over a year during the early mid '90s. Did pretty well, but I thought it had gone as far as it would. I should have held for another three years or so. Oh well. Never invested in them again.I started investing when I was 13. My parents allowed me to invest my Bar Mitzvah money, when I asked. They introduced me to their broker, and he told me to invest in maybe 8 stocks from different industries, so if 4...
Yeah, I got in at a good time in mid 2004. I'm just sorry I was screwing around about it for almost a year. If I hadn't, I could have bought an additional 20%.
The thing that's being missed here is that anything can go off the rails, and it has nothing to do with the premise that was brought up. Of course, if there's a massive market correction, as Carl is saying there will be sometime out to the next five years, then every expectation for the market will drop. So what? That's not the point. We could be hit by a massive asteroid, and civilization might fall. So what?We can't think like that. If we do, we might as well stop...
There's no evidence that the buybacks contributed to this rise by more than just a bit. There's never evidence that buybacks do that. It's Apple's rising sales and profits that have done most of it.You're painting a picture that's possible, but not likely. Apple Pay is being estimated to be a major source of profits for Apple, but it will take a good two years for enough new phones and new terminals in retail to get there. Apple knows this, and so does the financial...
I'm not sure I get your point. Everything could go down in a correction. Apple dropped by more than a half during 2007. I bought another 1,000 shares then. It cost $80 thousand, which is not a lot from an investment perspective. What is that worth now? Exactly!Is the market up ten times since then? Exactly!
I see a lot of guys like that. People call me up constantly asking for advice. It's a difficult call at times, but I usually tell them to hold, unless the stock is down, when I tell them to buy.But mvigod, and other like him really don't understand market psychology. They think it's all numbers, when it clearly it's not. They don't look far enough around the market to see that what they say is only true in a few cases, and not even all the time. I've done well because I...
I do hope you don't give investment advice.
No. That's not true. It doesn't work that way. Stock price is as much a psychological number as a technical one. Look at Amazon, and tell me why the stock is priced where it is. It's expectations that make a stock price as much as anything else.Apple stands a very good chance of hitting a trillion. When exactly, is another story. Good luck with Stratasys, you'll need it.
No, it's not, really!Yes, a number of things would have to come together, but that doesn't make it impossible. I'm not so sure that it will hit that number by the end of the 2014 financial year, which we're now in. But I'm not clear on whether they mean by sometime in the 2015 financial year, as that would be "next year" for Apple if we're talking the financial year. If so, then yes, I can certainly see that.So several factors.One would be that Apple is still slightly...