or Connect

Posts by melgross

The quoting is incorrect. That was my reply to him.Making a new alloy is just as much art as science. There is still a lot we do t fully understand about this. So while the materials scientists can do their math, and then the chemists can do theirs, the resu,t still may not be exactly what you want, and experiment is still in order.But tiny differences in alloying elements can make a big difference in characteristics. As little as 0.1% change in some ingredients will ruin...
True. I like 6061, and use it for a lot of things. I use the 7000 series as well, but not as often. It's not available in as many configurations as the far more popular 6000 series is, so that's a problem when you're doing limited numbers of something.Rolled plate is already somewhat work hardened, whereas extruded isn't. Rolled plate also weighs slightly (a tiny amount) more per cubic size. But if Apple compresses it the way they do for the watch, it will get even...
All of these alloys have slight variations in composition. To call something a variation of the same alloy number is permissible, as long as the composition falls within the generally accepted numbers.So, if Apple is using a series 6000 alloy now, it's like a variation of 6061. The most widely use aluminum alloy because of its combination of good strength, workability and cost. It has a psi rating of 35,000, with a temper of T5, which is pretty standard. That pretty good,...
I'm on the fence about this. I use both an iPhone and an iPad. The switcher works differently on each platform. I prefer the one on the iPad, as I can use four fingers to move back and forth between apps. I don't like the need to double click the home button to see the switcher on the phone though. With the larger phones, using four fingers is very easy, but does nothing. I'd like to see the four finger move on both devices. I'm also not sold on the overlapping screens,...
We don't know, likely they do.
I've my own experiences with this kind of problem, though on a much smaller scale. When the contractor(s) responsible for overseeing the work is released midstream, it's because of major problems. It's unusual. $2billion over cost on a project like this is dramatic. I wonder what went wrong with them. It should be fairly straightforward.
Gone.
Whoa! Don't get yourself tied up in knots about a typo. If you can make an interpretation over a typo, I suppose you can read things into other words that aren't there.Microsoft has been desperately trying to unseat Google with Bing for years. Now, with Win 8 and Win 10, Bing is in the OS for everything, so it's being used more. Sure, they're trying to make a profit. Otherwise they wouldn't offer it. Whether it's been successful or not isn't a reason to ignore what they're...
Whether or not they allow that for advertising is even besides the point. The fact that they admit storing all of that info, which is what they're doing by implication, is disturbing enough.And they aren't trustworthy. When they first bought Nest, they said that no information from the thermostat would be kept by Google, but later, they reneged, and admitted that yes, your data from Nest would be transmitted to Google, and kept by them. Why do they need our heating and...
Except that's not really true. If it was, then there would be no way for Google to offer targeted advertising to their clients, which they do, as it's their greatest revenue source. Most of this data isn't useful if it's entirely anonymized. Google reads your emails to find out what you are doing, so they can make suggestions. Geeze! They state this themselves.I suppose you don't remember the speech Eric Schmitt made several years ago, where he stated that soon; "Google...