or Connect

Posts by melgross

I just gave you an infraction for this post. Refrain from doing this again.
It doesn't. I would be very surprised if Apple isn't at least working one on paper, so to speak.It's very possible that the A8 is the second generation of a design that is eventually, with some possibly major modifications, intended for a low cost Mac. But Apple takes it's time. Sometimes too long.It's possible that they're trying to get needed performance and power draw in balance. Some compromise that would be acceptable to that particular user. As I've been saying for a...
No, I was not, and you know I was not. You're just trying to be a wise guy here. You know very well what we're talking about.
It's interesting that you mention Apple controlling their own technology, because supposedly, that's what it really is, according to Apple; controlling their own technology, software and hardware.But really, they haven done a very good job of it, have they? They've had a lot of opportunities to buy companies with technology they need, including software. Yes, those companies would have been billions. But for ten years now, Apple could have afforded it.So we can start with...
Uh, no. Sorry Benji, but I use a Mac Pro, and my iPad is nowhere like my Mac Pro. In fact, it's nowhere near my Macbook Pro either.
We've had a number of threads about this. Too bad you weren't there.So no, it's not just Safari. And there, it's not just RAM that's a problem. But when some of us run video editing, photo editing, and 3D CAD, performance is a big issue. More RAM allows bigger files to be used, and more of them.The same thing is true for games. Big, 3D games use a lot of RAM. Since the GPU shares RAM space, that limits not only CPU access, but GPU access. That means textures, normally held...
I keep saying that I'm going to join the developer program just to get my hands on Xcode and the betas, but I'm too busy, unfortunately.What I would like to have seen is memory compression, as we have it with Mavericks. It seems to work well enough, though it doesn't solve all the problems of too little RAM. But as no one has mentioned it for iOS, I'm assuming that it isn't there. It would have been interesting if it were, though I suppose Apple would have mentioned it...
I don't know why you are so shocked. This is a considerable decrease in performance advancement. I think that just admitting that will get us through a lot, and then we can get to talking about what Apple's thinking about this might be.I'm already seeing some early performance tests, and these phones aren't nearly as ahead of the newest competing phones as was Apple's 5 and 5S. With competing devices getting features that Apple isn't bothering with, performance is one...
Yes you can double transistors on a tick. It depends on what they are used for. A tock, Intel style, is a major architectural design change, and unless we get evidence of that from Anandtech when they get to do their usual very complete job, we can't say that Apple did that. Specialized execution units, if they aren't part of an architectural design change, are just additional units.As usual though, we'll never know what all those transistors will be for. We still don't...
Sorry, but I just have to disagree.Last year, along with the year before, they barely nudged to clock and achieved double the performance. While I didn't expect to see that again (though I kept my fingers crossed), I did expect to see 50% on the CPU, and 75% on the GPU, so yes, I'm disappointed.As for clock rate, I already went through that. There are two types of CPU designs. One sends two, maybe at most, three instructions at once, and needs, and uses, a high clock. The...