or Connect

Posts by melgross

As China is becoming Apple's biggest customer base, it's only logical that Apple should move to their preferences. And it's not as though we will stop buying the products because of it. I'm surprised at how many gold tone phones I see here. And let's not forget, that gold is a very popular color for cars here as well. And then there is India gold is more important there and in China. Even the poorest people have a small piece of gold jewelry. And Apple stated that their...
I can't completely agree with your conclusion. Often, an alloying element in the 0.2% range does make a big difference. Try to tell me that going from 0.1% carbon in a ferros alloy to .3% doesn't make a difference. Or silicon in many alloys at low point percentages doesn't make a big difference. Yes, it does. This isn't a cake, where a tiny difference makes no noticeable difference in the flavor, or consistency, though, even there tiny amounts of certain ingredients can...
This phone is coming out so soon after the 6 series made its debut, that we can only think that the talk about poor sales must be true. Last year, Samsung said that they sold 11 million S5's the first quarter, I think it was. But this year, they said they shipped 10 million during the same time. Considering that Samsung said that S5 sales were 40% lower than expectations, and lower than S4 sales, this isn't good news for them. I wish they would release official quarterly...
That was quite a while ago. I don't believe the 4s had a sapphire cover glass for the camera. In addition, the cover glass for these that do, have the metal ring that protrudes a tiny amount past the sapphire.
You've scratched the sapphire cover, or are you not serious?
So, you do any work with metal? I do a lot, and have, for decades. I've seen a number of variations of known alloys that have been custom produced. All of the alloys we have now, that are considered to be standard are just a fraction of all the alloys in use. It's not that unusual for a company to spec, or design, a custom variation of a standard alloy.There are, after all, large gaps between alloys. Very often I've wished for an alloy with specs that aren't produced. I'm...
The quoting is incorrect. That was my reply to him.Making a new alloy is just as much art as science. There is still a lot we do t fully understand about this. So while the materials scientists can do their math, and then the chemists can do theirs, the resu,t still may not be exactly what you want, and experiment is still in order.But tiny differences in alloying elements can make a big difference in characteristics. As little as 0.1% change in some ingredients will ruin...
True. I like 6061, and use it for a lot of things. I use the 7000 series as well, but not as often. It's not available in as many configurations as the far more popular 6000 series is, so that's a problem when you're doing limited numbers of something.Rolled plate is already somewhat work hardened, whereas extruded isn't. Rolled plate also weighs slightly (a tiny amount) more per cubic size. But if Apple compresses it the way they do for the watch, it will get even...
All of these alloys have slight variations in composition. To call something a variation of the same alloy number is permissible, as long as the composition falls within the generally accepted numbers.So, if Apple is using a series 6000 alloy now, it's like a variation of 6061. The most widely use aluminum alloy because of its combination of good strength, workability and cost. It has a psi rating of 35,000, with a temper of T5, which is pretty standard. That pretty good,...
I'm on the fence about this. I use both an iPhone and an iPad. The switcher works differently on each platform. I prefer the one on the iPad, as I can use four fingers to move back and forth between apps. I don't like the need to double click the home button to see the switcher on the phone though. With the larger phones, using four fingers is very easy, but does nothing. I'd like to see the four finger move on both devices. I'm also not sold on the overlapping screens,...