or Connect

Posts by melgross

Apple is my doing what it thinks it needs to do to maintain and even increase their marketshare. The bigger screens are expected to help.
Don't be insulting. I'll pull your plug.I'm not talking about $99 phones. In case you haven't noticed, estimates for this quarter, aside from the one in the article, are still up by a fair amount. If somehow Apple manages 39 million, that will exceed the industry growth for the past couple of quarters, so someone thinks it's possible.
That has little to do with the price of phones. The entire market for smartphones is still growing, and markets where $50, or in reality, mostly $100-300 smartphones are sold will, or are moving up, as in China. It's not impossible by any means.
The only time in that time period that Apple attempted to go after marketshare was the ill timed attempt by Michael Spindler in Christmas 1995. Back then I was on the board of one of the largest Mac groups. NYMUG had over 5,400 members in the mid 90's. In the fall of 1995, Apple came to our meeting, and announced that they were going to increase marketshare from 12% to 16% with a new machine that would cost "only" $4,000, including keyboard. We were pretty impressed. That...
You're missing my point, I'm not saying that Apple needs the biggest marketshare. But what is happening worldwide is that we're seeing a shrinking of marketshare. So the valid question looms; at what point does that shrinking marketshare come to be a significant problem? It's 15% now! but was higher in recent years. Is 10% ok? 5%? At some point things will fall off the cliff.And if you think that Apple doesn't care, then you would be wrong. Jobs himself continually talked...
Because you couldn't download any apps. You were stuck with what Apple supplied—just like any other featurephone. It was why I waited until the second year to buy an iPhone.The first model had the potential to be a smartphone, and it did become one once the App Store opened, and iOS 2 came out, though it wasn't called iOS back then. But until that OS upgrade, and the availability of apps, it was a featurephone. Make no mistake about that.
Symbian phones are/were smartphones. So were Win Mobile phones, as were Palmphones and Blackberry phones. What's the point?The first iPhone was a featurephone, it wasn't until the second year that it became a smartphone.You're being very semantic here when saying capable of running third party software rather that just saying that it runs third party software. I know that a number of people run their phones as a featurephone, because they don't download software. But I...
If it runs a third party software, then it's a smartphone. If it doesn't, then it's not a smartphone. It's not that difficult to understand."Interwebs"? Seriously?
Profits are important. But I doubt you were around in the late 1980's through the early 1990’s, when Apple put profits before marketshare. As their marketshare shrunk, so did software developer love. That's a vicious cycle.Today, Apple is doing very well indeed. But that's not assurance for the future. With their 15% worldwide smartphone share, at some point, software development will begin to move away from the platform. How low can that marketshare go before the problem...
But it's a legitimate question whether it really is Android if it can't run any of Google's services such as Google maps, Google Play store, Google search, calendar,, etc. This is being debated in the industry with a number of people thinking that AOSP phones should be considered as different than Android phones. I agree with that.I'm not the one who said that they aren't smartphones here, remember that. You can argue that point with clayder, who is saying that.I did say...