or Connect

Posts by melgross

That's the problem with being armchair analysts—we really don't know much.
Only Apple knows what it needs. We don't. Square has developed some excellent solutions. Does Apple need them? I don't know. Maybe not, after all, they chose not to buy them, at least, so far. We may never know. But they have what Apple doesn't seem to have. They were interested, so that means that they think the company looks interesting to them. They must have had a good reason to look. Since they didn't dismiss it out of hand, I'm not either.
You're new here, so I'm going to give you sip one time. But use it wisely. Continually insulting a mod gets you kicked off sites very quickly, no matter what you may think. You are pushing it.
It will take a long time for that to happen. And Square does more. I go to street fairs, and most vendors now use either a standard credit card reader, or Square. Smaller vendors almost all use Square. Apple's wallet app won't work under these circumstances. And it's not just street fairs. It's trade shows as well. Square is very easy to get, and set up. It's also cheaper to use over the long run for smaller merchants. And cash registers won't be going away for a long...
The decades bit isn't important. No company that comes later into the game needs to reproduce all of the many years of work that was already done. Much of that is now understood, and so can be worked on at a point that assumes knowledge that wasn't known earlier. It wouldn't take Apple 20 years to duplicate nuance,s work. But it could take three to five.Square has also donr a lot of work, and they've been around for years. Do they have patents of some of it? No doubt!...
Read Marvin's post, and look at the links. It's very good. I'm seeing a lot commenting about this that isn't really cognizant of what Square is, or what they do when compared to Apple.It isn't that Apple can't do certain things on their own, they can. But companies like Square have big valuations these days, and that's just the way it is. as Apple apparently made a bid for Nuance for about the same amount of money, this isn't out of line. At so e point, Apple is going to...
Well, you see, it's your opinion that they would be wasting money. That doesn't mean much. It's just your opinion, after all. Mine is different. And you don't know what Apple is doing in house, so stop pretending that you do. Marvin made a very good post showing what Square is doing. If you don't want to read his post, and check out the links, then you can't have an opinion about any of this, just a feeling.
The ranking of Aperture in the Mac App Store tells us little about who is using this, so it can't be used to promote any idea as to that.When it first came out, Apple presented it at the Photo Expo, here in NYC. It cost $299. It was very much being placed as a pro app. But Apple made many mistakes with it. A lot of pros were calling it the anti-pro app because of all the choices Apple was making with automatic correction of people's files. The primitive controls didn't...
I just read your last post, if I were the kind of mod to take offense, I would have deleted it, and given you a mark, but I didn't. Don't talk about insults. Mine was nothing, and certainly far nicer than yours to me.I started in this business in 1969, when I was 19, with Mcann-Ericsson. I did fashion and advertising work. I also shot Tv Clairol Summer Blond commercials. For over twenty years, I ran a major commercial photo lab here in NYC. We were the only company to...
Oh, great, play the fanboy card when you have nothing of worth to say.