or Connect

Posts by melgross

Microscope lenses can be made very small, and yet, are some of the most sophisticated lenses being made.An important part of lens theory, and something that is present in real lenses is diffraction. An ideal lens is at its best wide open. In reality, most lenses are best closed down a couple of stops. But if a lens doesn't need to be stopped down, it can be perfected at its native aperture. That's why smartphone lenses are better than I would otherwise expect.In fact,...
I've been in the photographic business since 1969, working for Mcann Ericsson in fashion and Tv commercial photography (I used to shoot the Summer Blond Tv commercials during the early and mid 1970's). In addition, I've had four years of physics and several courses in optical design as part of my solid state physics interest. Later, for 28 years, I ran a commercial photo lab in NYC, where we developed our professional Kodachrome developing processor, in conjunction with...
CCDs send the data out all at once, reading the entire sensor singly, so to speak, while CMOS sensors need a number of lines read out at a time, in sequence, which is why, in video, in particular, we get that jelly effect, when quickly panning the scene, or recording a fast moving object. canon is using 8 lanes to read out their latest chips in their still cameras for the video.Of course, in the "old days" when the first still digital cameras came out, the only sensors...
And your point is incorrect. While it may seem to be correct to you, modern technology can do wonders with this. New optical coatings reduce reflections to minuscule amounts, resulting in greater contrast, and less loss of light through the system.With such small sensors, zooms can be made faster. The biggest advantage here is the possibility of using a much bigger front element, enabling much greater light gathering power. This couldn't be done with the very short cameras...
Not really. The mirrors lose well under 1% of the light. The lenses here will be vastly better then what we get now, and an optical zoom will be possible. While it's true that some light is lost due to the prism, as the sensors themselves can have larger sensing sites, and less filtering, that more than makes up for it. In fact. It's possible to make a sensor that sensitive to just a particular spectrum, rendering filters unnecessary altogether. In addition, the lens can...
It's interesting that they've been publishing a number of patents with a 90 degree camera. As I've been pushing this idea for years, I hope some form of it will be used. It gives major advantages to cameras in such thin phones. We've pretty much reached the end of what can be done on such thin cameras.
You still don't understand the concept of manipulation.
Sigh! It's not manipulation. How many times are you going to misunderstand the difference between manipulation and normal market movements?
Like most things, it isn't that easy. How would Apple do this? Leasing backbone from those very same companies?If they would truly be independent, they would need to lay their own fiber, as Verizon has been doing. But it's cost Verizon over $100 billion over the years, and they're not going to to lay any more once the designated areas are finished, though, that could always change in the future. Verizon owns many telephone poles, and underground access tunnels. Apple does...
Well, supposedly, it should be, but generally isn't. Though most DOW companies are staid, and uninteresting. This kind of mixes Apple into that group.