or Connect

Posts by melgross

Um, I'm missing something here, aren't I?
It's hard to say. But in a tablet the power envelope is greater, so it doesn't matter as much.
Not just uncool, but useless.
I'm not reaching at all. If you have an iPhone or iPad, try it. Turn on some apps that you know will work in the background, such as gps apps, audio measuring apps, etc., and do a test. You'll be surprised at how bad those numbers will come out.What I'm saying, which you would have understood if you read carefully, is that having apps on in the background significantly affects performance testing. On iOS, turning the phone off completely and turning it back on eliminates...
I've found some other articles which I've bookmarked. But it's really difficult to find what I've read, or even bookmarked a few months ago. Remember, it's really been just since about 2010 that Qualcomm has been heavily making and selling SoCs. When TI dropped out, Qualcomm scooped up their share, which, by itself was fairly big. So I've got another article that says they're the Intel of mobile processors, etc. but other than articles from 2011-2013, I can't find numbers,...
Well yes. Nvidia has a history of giving us numbers which actual production, in actual devices, can't match. But still, even if every spec isn't quite there, it looks to be a very competitive chip. I just hope this inspires Apple too.
You're right about the technical statements you make.But, if performance falls off because of this, it's very possible that Samsung will lose sales to Apple in markets where performance matters. If so, then this is a problem. No matter what people say, Apple's chips do compete, indirectly, with everyone else's chips. A sale to Apple is a lost sale to Qualcomm, as well as the manufacturer using their, or anyone else's, chips. They know this very well, which is why, after...
I can't see a watch, no matter how advanced, ever replacing a smartphone without some major breakout technology, which we simply don't have now. If it's a major breakthrough, it's unpredictable, and until it happens, no one will expect it. What Apple is genius at doing is taking technologies that exist, and using them where other companies are afraid to. Or taking them and obsoleting what they currently use. Or taking them and combining them to do what no one else has...
Well... I do have to agree with DED in some aspect. The history, which I repeat in forums every so often, if the context is there, shows that Apple was responsible for sidelining Intel, though Intel did make a big mistake of their own.The facts are that Apple was looking for a mobile processor for the Newton which they were designing, and didn't find anything that would work. They looked at many designs, and decided that the Desktop ARM chip Acorn was using for their...
Historically, Samsung doesn't use its own chips in a number of markets, because their performance lags Qualcomm's chips at the same level. Samsung has tried to be a major supplier of their chip designs, which are really just standard ARM designs, but hasn't made any headway. So the only major company who uses their chip fabs has been Apple. Once Apple began to break away with their architecture license, something that Samsung doesn't have, for some odd reason, they pulled...