or Connect

Posts by melgross

I'm not going to speculate about sapphire vs. class and anti glare coatings, but as I said yesterday, my Air 2 is much easier to read in direct sunlight than my original Air, when directly comparing them side to side, with the same thing open on the page, despite the disappointingly lower maximum brightness. If brightness was 10% higher, to match the Air, it would be even easier to read.
No. apparently, the secure enclave is part of the NFC chip. So in order to use Touchid on an ipad, the chip must be included. In addition, we will be able to use Apple Pay with purchases from Apple, as well as from third party in app purchasing, and, when it's worked out, online stores other than Apple's. Amazon has already enabled their own branded credit card to be used with Apple Pay. A lot of people didn't expect that, at least, not so soon.There are no antenna's for...
No they shouldn't. That's only the business of business if they see some benefit to them. Basic research is done in universities and government labs. Intel will do that for chip making, because that's their business. But even Intel doesn't do work in basic physics.
Apple is continuing to build out their research facilities. We don't know everything (or much of anything, for that matter) they are working on, any more than the outside world did of what Bell Labs did, except in later years when AT&T was attempting to fend off the long term attempt of the government to break them up, and tried to use R&D at Bell Labs as a reason for the government not to do so.But the work AT&T did required Bell Labs to invest in types of basic research...
That is totally untrue. Right at the beginning of the Bush recession, Jobs was asked, in a press conference, about what Apple would do during the recession. He stated that Apple would put more money into R&D, as other companies were cutting back to save money, because that way, at the end of the recession, Apple would have some new amazing products for sale while their competitors would be putting their R&D departments back together.Jobs wasn't resistent to R&D spending....
You just don't listen, do you? I've explained why this is so. This has nothing to do with Google's search, as it isn't a spell checker. We all know that sometimes typing a word in Google will come up with the correct spelling where few spell checkers will do so. These serve different purposes. The fact that no spell checker is uniformly good is proof of that. Some are slightly better with some words, and others with different words. But none are as good as you seem to...
No. They look at commodity pricing, spot market pricing, and standard manufactuer's price lists. Then they guess what a particular company is paying for those parts. That's it!
Feh! Here we go again. I'd like to point out, as I always do, that neither iSuppli, or any other company knows what Apple pays for parts. No company knows what any manufacturer of size pays for parts. This is all guesswork, kids! Apple, just like other large companies who can negotiate pricing, doesn't let those numbers out. It's all proprietary, and considered to be secret competitive information. So whatever iSuppli says can be read as just an estimate. They say that...
Actually, it is your job. All spell checkers, at least the better ones, give the option of adding words. If you don't know why dictionaries aren't bigger, then you don't understand how spell checkers work. Many offer extra dictionaries for specialized writing. But you don't want those dictionaries on all of the time, because of the extra errors that you will get. Errors corrections that themselves are wrong.
I can't say I've had a major problem with it, but you can just add words to the dictionary, as you can with most other spell checkers. Spell checking is a difficult thing. Until true AI is here it's not going to be able to guess what word you're looking for all the time. And it's well known that creating a spell check dictionary is an art, not a science. The problem with those that have dictionaries that are too extensive, is that as they get larger, the worse the checker...