or Connect

Posts by melgross

Can you prove that? It's theory that buybacks raise the stock price. I understand what a buyback does to equity per share. But, there is no single bit of solid evidence that it brings the price up permanently. I've seen many buybacks since I began investing back when I was a kid in 1963. None have ever reliably brought that price up, and had it stay there. It's a great deal of money that could otherwise be used to enhance the business.
The term "rational" when describing the way the market works means that every financial investment is priced at the exact price it should be. Since it isn't, it's not rational. This isn't my definition. It's the accepted one. Obviously, it's an oversimplification. But, do you think Apple is priced properly? I don't. Do you think Amazon is priced properly? I don't.
When did I say that? The poster that I replied to said that. My reply was just the opposite.
Horace Diedu had a good article about that. He's right. They're new at this, and this is the first time anyone has used the "count the online receipt" method, so no one knows whether it works or not. I suspect it does nothing more than to give us a bit of info. It misses the people changing from online buying when the watch became available in stores. It also misses everything out of the States.
Really? My stock is up just a little bit since April 2004, when I bought most of what I have now. So I suppose you're right, I'm not doing too well with it.
What? Explain how those two statements contradict each other. Despite what he said, the stock went up bcause Apple was doing better. Buybacks and dividends had little to do with it.
Oh, cut it out already, you don't know what you're talking about. I'm not saying they're looking for a specific number. I said that they base their expectations on what the current quarter is, in growth. They also look at last year's quarter for comparison. But if a company is doing well, and quidence is below what they would expect, going by that growth, then they're not happy campers. There are no exact numbers to use. Don't misquote me.
You know, you keep imposing your biases onto what the world actually does. Stop saying things like "should". We're not talking about what the market should do, we're talking about what the market does do. I keep hearing about how the market is rational. But anyone who is in the market knows that the market is irrational. If it weren't, you would be right, and no one would ever make any money. Because money is made by beating the expectations. Yes, over time price will be...
I'm not sure how serious he is. Here is a chart going through last Friday, comparing some companies we know of. Click to enlarge. I bought most of my current shares in mid 2004.
Sure they are. They won't all act on it either way, but they are all thinking about it. Some will recommend a sell, and some will recommend a buy.