or Connect

Posts by melgross

Exactly! I'm often amazed at the ignorance, often deliberate, of writers, and posters alike.When Apple was small, the cry was that the produced overpriced toys that no serious person would want, and so it was just fanboys that bought their products, when it was pointed out that the music, film, publishing and scientific markets depended on app,es products, the response was;Oh well, yes, they do, but no one else does.Now that Apple is the largest company if it's type, and...
People have made the same pricing mistake for several decades regarding Apple. They mistake the difference between not competing in a low price market with competing in a higher priced market. Apple simply doesn't compete in low price markets, so some people say that Apple's products are a lot more expensive, when they are either just a little bit more expensive, in the market they are competing in, or even, when everything is taken into account, no more expensive, or even...
I don't understand your point. Every product costs money to R&D, build, ship, warrantee, etc. Yes, we're told that profits in the automotive industry are lower than Apple's, and therefore, Apple won't want to get into this. That's total BS!Every product Apple builds has lower profits everywhere else. Look at computers, iPods, iPhones, iPads, etc. every one of these gives Apple a very good net margin, whereas, every other manufacturer has a much poorer one, or even a...
As I said in my response above to dasanman69, people make demands on these companie's that result in less testing that would be ideal, because of wanting a constant stream of new features.While business and government want slower upgrades, and fewer features released each time, the public is just the opposite. We don't seem to be happy if there isn't some new gizmo in software and hardware every few months. It's because we're easily bored with what we get. Once we know...
It doesn't matter. That's still 68,000 bugs they knew about, plus the many thousands they didn't, iOS is still a very complex OS. Hopefully, it doesn't have nearly that many bugs, but the high profile ones it does have, here and there, make it seem buggy to a few people. But Apple corrects most of these, with a few here and there they don't get to for some reason.Every piece of software above a certain complexity level is going to contain bugs. There have been many...
That's not really true. The Apple II was no more expensive than other computers of its type, and the first Macs were less expensive than the average IBM PC.They became more expensive over time as manufacturers began to move to China, a trend started, I think it was, by Leader, long gone. When Scully turned down the licensing proposal from Microsoft, he then raised the price of the Mac by 10%, a bad idea. But Apple's computers were on,y more expensive because Apple doesn't...
And when the 7 years between XP and Vista were up, and the guy running the division (suddenly forgot his name, but he isn't there anymore) was asked how many bugs Vista contained, he said; "68,000".You don't get any more bugs with a yearly revision than you do with much bigger revisions every few years.
Yes, I've read that before. But two things. One is that Jefferson was a vast landowner, with many slaves. Once someone has slaves, then whatever else they have to say about human dignity needs to be taken into question. Unless you agree with his real world view on slavery, which was to own them.But being a major landowner, he, and others who founded this country, believed that only large landowners were capable of running it. You believe that as well, I assume. Indeed, the...
Quite frankly, I find that hard to believe. Every jurisdiction around the world gives tax breaks to companies, primarily for the creation of jobs. To say that a link is untenable is patently ridiculous. We see companies given breaks that include free upgrading of services such as roads, water, power, etc. we also see a tax free period of often ten years, sometimes even more.Are we to believe that the EU is going after companies in the USA that are given these breaks? How...
I know a number of right wingers. Heck, some are friends of mine. In practical terms, I haven't found a big difference between right wing Republicans and Libertarians. Theoretical, yes, but not in a real world way. Libertarians are just a bit more extreme in some ways.Sorry if I insulted you. But the right wing is destroying this country day by day. I find that hard to take.