or Connect

Posts by melgross

A lot of people depend on dividends and interest to supplement their income. In particular, older people who need income. I don't need it, but it's nice to have. Instead of selling stock to buy something heavy, I use the dividends. Remember that you make no money on an investment until you sell it. Yeah, I know you know that, but I had to make the point for the argument. Someone with a large, but not huge, investment of a $million, will get $16,000 a year. Thats a good...
I just want everyone to know that I don't agree with the extreme reaction we see. I'm just telling the way it works. That doesn't mean it works well.
It's not a random news report. It's Yahoo Finance, which is read by tens of millions of people. Besides, that's just one report. Every professional trader is thinking the same thing.
I woud agree with that, theoretically. But, to tell the truth, my dividends from them are too great for me to want to give up now that I'm receiving them. But what would they do with all that money? They would have a good $300 billion now. There are a few fairly big aquisitions i would liked for them to have made.
That's right. It may not be fair perhaps, but it's the way it works. If a company that's losing sales and profits, and has its shares in a long, slow, decline, does less worse than expected, its stock goes up. If a company that's growing and shows good profits, with its stock on a slow long rise, grows less, and has less profits than expected, its stock goes down. Makes little sense to me, but there you have it.
I disagree. I would prefer it the other way around. Ive never seen evidence that buybacks do anything more than a tempory stock rise.. Apple's price rises because of strong sales and profits, not buybacks.
Actually, you're not right. What was Apple's stock at then, and what is it now? Does that seem flat to you
I don't have the numbers in front of me, but what they look at is what the growth has actually been, and how the company thinks it's going to move going forward. You know that. I'm not looking at the market right now, because the service isn't working for some reason, but I do think that it went down much too much, if what people are reporting is true.
Actually, they do. After all, stock and P/E is a result of expectations of revenue and profits going forward. Apple gives an expectation of what that will be. If it's below what's expected, then the stock will drop. Match that to expected results for the reported quarter, and there you have it. Seriously, if this isn't understood, then people shouldn't be in the market.
it's not. 20% is disappointing. It's been up over 30% all previous quarters this year.