or Connect

Posts by melgross

I've discussed this a number of times, here, and elsewhere.I've no doubt that Apple has run OS X on ARM since the A5x. Earlier chips would have been much too limited. They likely are running at least some of their apps on it as well.But we really can't avoid the emulation problem, it's an ugly head. So small, simple apps could be run through Apple XCode, and with some little bit of work, be fine. But larger apps will have more problems. Compilers can't take care of every...
What's really interesting about Apple's new design is that it's actually more space efficient than the A7. Whereas the industry is finding that as they go down in size they have poorer packing density. Anandtech noted that Apple has increased packing density significantly this generation.Of course, there is still the frustration in not knowing what at least 30% of Apple's chips are doing. Apple has no need to go to conferences and explain all this as they don't sell their...
You know that if you increase voltage by a small amount, you increase power drain by a large amount. So heat will rapidly become an issue. That's likely why Apple increases speeds when moving a chip to the iPad by so little. I'm not confident that Apple could move this to 2GHz. Remember that there is no real heat sinking in these tablets, though I've often wished that Apple could figure out a way to utilize the aluminum case more directly as a heat sink. Of course, if they...
No, they are very different designs. Both Apple and Nvidia have architectural licenses from ARM. They use that chip architecture to design their own chips, as Qualcomm, and a few others do. As a result, their chips are very different, and are following different paths. Don't use the ARM8 instruction set to mean that the chips are that similar, because they aren't.You are making that same mistake. We can look at AMD and Intel back in the days of the Intel Netburst...
Unfortunately for Samsung, their 14nm yields are way too low for successful use. This is a quandary for Apple, and why some think that Apple might split between Samsung and TSMC next year.
Yes, yes, they coulda, shoulda. They didn't because they want to remain independent. I'm not going to go over this in detail, because I've already don't so in other posts. But if unhappy, you mean crying into their cups, then obviously no. But thinking that everything is just great is also a no. Read my other posts on this.
I've defended it pretty well. If you think I'm wrong, then show some real proof.
Not quite. They were always what they are, a maker of PCs that use their own OS. Wanting to be a larger player doesn't mean that they would switch to Windows in order to accomplish that. They are happy about the profits they make, but from statements they have also made over the years, it's been pretty clear that they want a bigger share. cooks talking about their increased marketshare, and increased sales vs Windows shows that it means something to them. Statements by...
Logic? You have no logic in your argument at all, just unsupported statements. You wanted some support from me, and I gave it. And no, it costs Apple more to make the 12 watt charger than the 5 watt charger. You're not using logic there either. Perhaps your lack of understanding manufacturing is helping you out there too. Yes, App,e charges the same $19 for each, but that's a sales and marketing decision, as should be obvious.You can't guarantee anything. You can just make...
No, I am not. You are using outdated information to cover every instance. You haven't shown anything that would support your contentions. So since you began this, why don't you show that in EVERY case, quick charging lessens battery life? I'm saying that there are specific situations where quick charging does not result in lessened battery life. I'm disputing your assertions, which haven't been shown, by you, to be true.The problem is that most batteries are not designed...