or Connect

Posts by melgross

Nope! Not even close. I've been pointing out what Apple needs to do in order to accomplish that, and this isn't it. The truth is that the chip isn't a "massive" improvement in compute that the article states. Considering that the past two chips had double the performance of the one before, and the chip before that was 50% higher than the one before, with almost 100% higher in graphics (A5 for iPhone, with A5x for iPad), this jump is positively measly.What Apple seems to...
Are you talking about an iMac? You know that the Dell monitor costs $2,500, and that's not as much as an Apple monitor would cost. It's also the cost of a high end iMac. How much would people pay for a 5k iMac? $3,500? $4,000? $4,500?How about you?
Except what does this resolution match up to? 4k is the new standard. 5k is not. There is experimental work being done on 6k, which may not see the light of day, and 8 k, the purpose of which is debatable, even for full size theaters. I personally prefer 16:10 monitors, but that's just me. But I would rather use another, smaller monitor for the editor than have a 5k for both.
Sure, real 4k (4096) would be great. So far though, 4k monitors and many Tv's are really 38xx. Apple might be waiting for the panels to drop in price, as that's something they often do, or are waiting for a proper CPU/GPU upgrade to drive them properly. No point in having a high Rez screen that runs slow.
Except that all of those panels were available. Apple always uses panels that are available. If they used a custom 5k panel for this, the monitor would cost above $10 thousand, easily, because they wouldn't sell that many of them. It's why Dell uses two panels, and the monitor still costa $2,500. And Dell isn't known for making expensive monitors, just the opposite. So how much would an Apple version cost? $3,500? More?
Remember that this isn't MacInsider. Everything Apple does is important.
Since we're talking about a possible 5K monitor, I thought that was what you were referring to, when responding to his post, meaning that the 5k would be better for video editing than the 4 k one. Sorry if I misinterpreted.
That's what I said earlier.
Disagree totally on both points.
As I pointed out earlier, there are no screens with these hi Rez specs. The only monitor announced with these specs is a Dell, and it needs two screens.http://www.anandtech.com/show/8496/dell-previews-27inch-5k-ultrasharp-monitor-5120x2880