or Connect

Posts by melgross

To be fair, a number of those problems hit most every other computer manufacturer as well. Dell had to recall about 28,000 laptops from one line because of the Nvidia screwup. Hp needed to recall about 100,000 computers, and numerous other companies had similar problems. It was so bad, thar when Nvidia finally admitted they screwed up, they had to put $500 million into an escro account to pay manufacturers for repairs.Motorola was ticked at Apple because they withdrew the...
The reason why the A8X has so many transistors is because it's an SoC, which means "system on a chip". All of the support functions that would be carried by external chips are on that. In addition, as has been said, Apple includes a camera processing chip which most (or all) other SoC's don't. We also don't know what approximately 35% of the chip area is being used for. That's possibly a billion transistors.
Doesn't matter, they're in a race to the bottom.Which process technology are their latest processors running on? 32nm. That's right! They are two full generations behind intel. Hard to believe. Their top units need a full 220 watts. Those are compared to intel's 125 watts for the equivalent units.Nah! Nothing for them now.
That's somewhat similar to what I've been saying.
If you're comparing two specific implementations, then, yes, that's correct. But generally, more transistors do indicate something in terms of performance and versatility. It's like comparing brain size. Generally, larger brains, from one species to another do indicate intelligence advances. But it's also what that brain consists of, and brain size to body size. Whales can have much larger brains than humans, but have much lower intelligence.Apple's chips run at much lower...
For the usage model we're talking about, it still doesn't work. No matter how you slice all those cores, many will be doing nothing most of the time.
It's an interesting idea. We know that it takes a processor that's emulating another to have to be about five times as powerful as the one being emulated. That's a hard thing. It's why Macs were so slow with Virtual PC and other emulation software. So I suppose that Apple could use a bunch of cores for that emulation.But I have a better idea that I've been flinging about, here, and in other places. It's also known that just a handful of the code in a chip comprises 80% of...
Supposedly, but many apps are just not that parallel to begin with. With those, not much can be done.I suggest that you watch your cores when running some apps, and see what happens. If you only have two cores, you won't learn much, but if you have four or more, you'd be surprised.
This is where we get a problem. Few apps are optimized for more than two cores. That will remain true for some time. Remember that there are still a lot of two core CPU's out there. Perhaps half of the current pc's have two core chips. Developers are finding it hard to parallel most apps meaningfully past two cores.There are apps such as rendering apps, video editing apps, and a few others that do use numerous cores efficiently. But most don't.A problem in assuming that 32...
I wish I could remember his name, and I've got the article bookmarked somewhere, but a writer wrote a few years ago wrote that Jobs didn't have a reality distortion field. That instead, he had a reality creation field.I really liked that description, and I will never forget it. Many people have reality distortion fields, it's really not hard. But Jobs did make his reality our reality. With others, you walk out of the room, and you go back to the way things were. But with...