or Connect

Posts by melgross

Right now, stanene isn't a real material. It's in the lab. But it isn't a superconductor all the way through. Only at the edges, I believe, from the report I've read. A problem is that as it's tin, it can't be used for transistors, only the lines that connect the dots, so to speak.
No, this isn't the first time. The first major problem was way back at 90nm, as you likely remember, when Prescott was the fastest Netburst CPU Intel made, which closed out at 3.8GHz. That was when they severely underestimated the leakage problem, among a couple of others. They solved that problem, and 65 and 45 were fine. But problems arose at 32, though they were easily solved. But at 22, Intel had serious problems, which resulted in a six month delay. Now, going to 14,...
Moore's law is everything about process technology. The on,y reason they've been able to stuff so much more into the same space is because of the many process shifts to smaller sizes. Without that, it's going to be really difficult because of the increased heat you get when squeezing more components into the same space when of the same size. And they already squeeze as many components as they can. There's no more room to do so.No, you misunderstand the technology, and the...
While I don't expect any sudden surge, I do expect that over time, this will add significantly to Apple's sales, and presence in enterprise (which means business, government and education). It will take some time for this to happen. As both companies have said, it will begin to rollout during the fall, as Apple updates iOS to 8, and comes out with new, more powerful hardware. But it will mainly be impacted through 2015 as most of this is actually available. What I...
I can't agree with that. Just mentioning screens isn't a big deal. If Apple was just asking questions about the possibility of using large sheets for screen covers, this wouldn't be such a big deal to keep a secret over. If Apple asked specific questions about manufacturability in specific contexts, then possibly it would rise to the level of an NDA. But otherwise, Apple seems to have approached him for information, not the other way around, which would be a much bigger...
I doubt that Apple will do that. Also, they most certainly can raise the clock to 2GHz if they want to. Moving to a smaller node gives them that possibility. It just depends on what they are doing in the design. You can go for more speed, or less power draw, or some combo. If Apple is interested in performance, then moving from 1.4GHz at 28nm to 2GHz at 20 is not out of line. Will they, who knows?But what's interesting to me is the fact that they may be sticking with two...
Not necessarily. It would depend on what he was being consulted about. I've signed more than a few NDA's, and had others sign them. Not everything you talk about requires an NDA. If Apple asked him general questions about saphirre, something about which he is a known expert, there is no reason that I can think of offhand that would require him to sign an NDA.
Nonsense! They've been having a serious number of problems.
Nah, it's thought that 7nm is likely the ends after that, new technology will be needed, such as carbon nanotubes, or something else. The chance of getting to 5bm is very small.
Well, at the bottom of my post I mention how Apple could do it. Now, there's a rumor that the new A8 will again be two cores, though perhaps at 2GHz, or higher. This would give the ability of doing what I suggested, if they also do the rest of what I suggested.