or Connect

Posts by melgross

Yes, they do talk to companies. Usually, it's off the record. But there is an advantage to these companies as well. They will likely get coverage they didn't get otherwise. Everything is tit for tat. We know how suppliers talk, for example. I've talked to some. Know the right people, and someone will always talk.
Ok, but you said (bolding mine):"most of the profits may come from software and services going forward...it could be that post-artificial intelligence, services will be everything!"
I don't agree that it must be fatally flawed. The 5S is a 5S no matter which of the only two versions there are. Same thing for the 5C.
Apple does give overall sales numbers around the world, as well as country by country sales. Most other companies just give shipment numbers, or sales to distributers and retailers. Some, like Samsung, give no quarterly numbers at all.The problem is that except for Apple, and Motorola (though we'll need to see what happens with them once Lenovo fully takes over), no one else gives sell through. So it's very difficult to verify, and calibrate the estimates these companies...
This is a tough one, you know.I have some estimates of my own as to how people carry their phones around. It's based on observation, mostly. What I see, and hear, is that about 30% of people carry their phones in a pocket. That's mostly men, but includes a fair number of teenage girls, with their phones in their back pocket, of all places. Most women, and the rest of the female teenage market uses a purse and bag. That seems to be another 50%. The rest, about 20%, seem to...
What do toy mean by "far slimmer margins"? Slimmer margins mean less profit. I don't see Apple doing that. They would need to sell far more software to make up for those lower margins, and the trend with Apple over the years has been to lower software prices, and to give otherwise paid software away for free. Software has always been, and will likely continue to be the way Apple pulls customers into their system.So while software maintains ultra high margins for software...
These days, sales in the USA are just over 20% of worldwide sales of most any major product. So what is happening here has just a relatively minor effect overall.But what isn't being taken into account here is the fact that Apple had brought the 4 back from retirement for third world countries, and it was responsible for a doubling of sales in India and a number of other places. That phone was just again removed a few weeks ago. So it's possible that some of those 10...
They get data from retailers worldwide, and also talk to suppliers and look at their sales of products.
Don't be so sure. The look of the 4S is so much better than that of the 5C, that it just looks and feels like a better phone, despite the older electronics.
What you can buy on the Android side for that money is junk when you consider that they likely will never get an update, and that the quality is low, along with user satisfaction. Just saying.It's interesting just how naive people are about manufacturing. Do you really think that Apple can simply drop the price of a product by half, that's already had its price cut by 31%? Apple is making somewhat lower margins with this now than when it was the top model. Those margins...