or Connect

Posts by Johan Siebke

Update: After two weeks of scratching my head trying to find any local settings (computer or router) that were specific enough and after really not doing anything at all, normal service resumed suddenly. I have now had a good short week without any disruption or speed issues. The problem that was is still a mystery, though.
I will try and keep it short but it is complex (to me!): I have suddenly, since Friday 2 March, experienced very slow connection to one of my ISP's mailservers. Emails without attachments work ok'ish (a little "hesitantly"), emails with attachments of moderate sizes (eg. +/- 500 KB) download/upload extremely slowly and most of the time fail. I have asked my ISP, who are generally helpful, and they have tested the mailserver and can find nothing wrong. So, here we go: The...
This happened to my Magsafe 85W MBP charger a few days ago, so I did a search in the forums and found this interesting but old thread. Obviously, I wasn't the only one this seemingly freakish incident had happened to. I don't care one bit about the class action lawsuit but was interested in seeing if people got replacement free of charge before I contacted Apple. And so it seems. I was a bit surprised to find so many posts with accusations of victims' allegedly...
Just to sign this one off I post the reply from the Apple repair man when I told him: "Hadn't thought of that one... Just so you know that is accessed in System Preferences/Universal Access/Display Should be set on normal.... Should have dawned on me... but your display was not toooo bad... is commonly done by students to each others machines... as at the extreme it looks as if you have a serious display problem... Check it out!!! Didn't realise...
GENIUS!! It was that simple!! I must have accidentally held Ctrl-Opt-Cmd and pressed full stop a few times during work. Now reversing it by pressing comma instead. This is a command I did not know existed. And just to be clear, this has nothing to do with brightness slider in System Preferences -> Brightness. This stays the same regardless. I don't know if there is a manual contrast slider anywhere, there isn't one in System Prefs > Display. Thanks for your help guys -...
Thanks again. I just tried that - AND IT WORKED! Logging in as a different user (new account) and a perfect screen pops up. That was the simple part. What next? Is it likely to be a pref file in my user Library, or something else? Is it a needle in the haystack job from now on?
Thanks SpotOn. You touch onto a few things that sounds scary to a lay-person as I am. Just to confirm: The Apple engineer booted my iMac from their own drive with their OS (10.5.8??) and the screen looked fine. As soon as it was booted from my own internal OS it was bad again. Also, with the mac booted from my own OS (normal startup) and screen being faulty, as soon as a 2nd monitor was attached both screens went fine. As soon as 2nd monitor was detached, screen...
It has been tried several times (also together with Apple repair people) with no fundamental change. Tried it again now but same old story. I did a calibration as well when I discovered the fault but the new profile didn't solve anything. Thanks for suggesting - keep them coming!
Thanks for the tip, Marvin. Just tried it (the file is still in trash, not emptied) but it didn't solve the problem. Should I put the file back in the library?
My iMac 24" Aluminium (June 2008) running 10.5.8 has behaved impeccably for almost two years. I use it for graphics and photographic work, so colour fidelity is very important. A few days ago, in the morning, the machine was still "perfect". By lunchtime I realised something was not right. The Photoshop file I had been working on looked different. I could not see details in highlights, transparency in layers that was clearly there in the morning had suddenly vanished....