or Connect

Posts by wubbus

I'm curious how many users actually get a lot of value out of Siri.  It's not a bad idea, and it has certainly gotten better (and will continue to do so).  But at the current stage...do a lot of you guys use it frequently and get much out of it?   I myself never really use it after exploring it for a bit.  I found it sort of cumbersome for getting things done.  But, I might not represent the broader Apple base...
  I would love some hard data on what it uses both on wi-fi and 3G (if there is any difference).  Mainly on wi-fi though.  My parents have their iPad on wi-fi but their ISP only allows 3GB per month (it's a wireless modem, rural area) so they are scared of using too much FaceTime and getting big overage charges.  Result...they basically never use it out of fear of big bills.  I'd love to be able to do some rough math and tell them how much they could reasonably FaceTime...
The publicity argument is entirely plausible, as I would guess that this situation has "bought" a lot more name recognition for the photographer.  However, Apple can hardly claim that as a defense :) ... "We breached our contract/license/agreement, but hey we got your name out there so don't worry about it!"   To your second line (loss of profits)...I think the point the settlement is going after is that the photographer could have gone and licensed this photo for public...
Claiming lost profits seems reasonable to me. The artist has effectively lost the opportunity to market or license this image to another company as it is now recognized as an Apple image. Not sure if a mistake on Apple's part or just a conscious decision to move quickly with the presentation material and settle up in court later...
    I think they do highlight the portability/pocket-ability ("hold it in your palm"..."smallest bag...") in their marketing (copy n' paste from iPad mini page on Apple website):     Thin and light design. iPad mini has everything that makes an iPad an iPad, but it’s a fraction of the size. At just 7.2 millimetres, it’s pencil thin and unbelievably light.3 You can easily hold it in your palm. And stash it in your smallest bag without a second thought, so it’s always close...
  My disagreement is that we actively choose to purchase those products.  Apple doesn't screw us out of anything, we look at the product, and decide that we get more value out of it than the money we need to hand over.  We are free to simply not purchase the next phone or go to a competitor.   I'm not even an Apple shareholder but I firmly believe Apple should get every dollar they can out of us because that's the duty the company owes to shareholders.  
  It would be tough to label me as a Google fan (never owned an Android phone, but I do own an iPhone, iPad and MBP...).  But I would be the first to say that competition urges Google on to make better products for their consumers.  So, yes, Google definitely needs competition. Same argument I make for Apple consumers or for any other company.  We encourage the death of a competitor and don't realize it hurts us in the long run.  
  I'm really not defending nor condemning Google here either way, this is more a commentary on why some consumers want the competitive market to fall apart.  Replace Google with any other OS or hardware company, I make the same argument.   But if you do cheat off someone in the corporate world, then you should expect to get sued (like what we see on the patents side).  It's not clean, it takes a long time, but it's the best mechanism available at the moment.  If indeed...
Honest question: Why do so many people (unless ALL of you are shareholders) want to see other OS's or companies fail?  Strong competitors fuel good products across all the companies.  I think my iPhone and iPad are exceptional products, but I hope that Android/WP8/RIM (yes, even RIM) are all strong contenders, such that Apple always has incentive to keep making superior products.  And we're fooling ourselves if we think that competitive products don't light a fire under...
Perhaps the update will fix the bizarre charging problem I have with my iPhone 4....have to plug connector in, then remove, then plug back in, for my phone to charge.  Never happened on iOS 5, started immediately after upgrading to iOS 6.     Really not a big issue at all as I do it without thinking now, but just sort of bizarre.