or Connect

Posts by junkie

I said nothing of the sort. I said the sort of warnings shown in the photo you posted are stupid - they are. I am not an expert on Android security - I just know bullshit when I see it and those warnings are useless. They do nothing for the user. Is this version of Tetris a good or bad acting app? I know nothing from this warning based on the API's it accesses - no way I could make that judgement. So the result is that every user feels a little like a guinea pig. That...
The thing is that if nearly every app is using all of these functions, then what is the point of the warning? Also, each of these domains tells me very little about what could happen with this app.
Why are you attacking me? Is it because your argument is so weak? Why were you even showing that picture? To me it represents the biggest failure of Android - that it is posing as something anyone can use but really it has all this nasty technical stuff there exposed that no one understands or wants to. That is not more mature, its just bad. No reason for that. It just means they did not know what the hell they were doing and they are experimenting on users in a bad...
How does she know it is "regular" software? What does that even mean in an un-policed zone like the Android store? The point is that on the AppStore from Apple, she can download what ever she wants and not worry that some evil action is going to occur. There certainly is a lot of crap up on Apple's store but I can be confident and she can be confident that none of it poses a risk to the user. This sort of warning is just bogus. What does it even tell me? My information...
This is a perfect example of why Android sucks. What is my mom supposed to do with this screen? How is an everyday user supposed to know whether they are getting hacked from this? Like write access to an SD card, uh ok, what are the implications of that again?? I lose everything? Great. Thanks for the warning, I'll just skip the whole freakin platform.
Certainly there were smartphones before iPhone, I used them, but iPhone redefined the category. It was the first slate that was usable, the first on screen keyboard that worked. When Apple showed the iPhone everyone in the industry said you can't have a device without a physical keyboard - that was a known decided industry knowledge and the iPhone could not succeed. Then they all went out to copy the iPhone as fast as possible because as soon as anyone touched it clearly...
i am not disputing VZ rejecting Apple initially or their desire to control things. Apple made the right call starting with ATT, especially since GSM is more strategic for a global launch. My issue is with the length of the exclusivity. That was a mistake in my opinion. I am guessing neither of us are privy to the terms of the agreement or the negotiations but if the terms were 5 years, that was too long. And if there was a way to exit early, it would have been worth it. I...
BS. That is what you say when you don't have high market-share. The Mac makes a lot of money as a niche product. Fine. Would Apple be happier with more market-share? Of course they would. They announce it every time their market-share goes up. Apple cares about market-share. That is why they have 4 different types of iPod at different price points and were very aggressive about being competitive on price and being in every store - including Costco and WalMart. That is what...
The crazy policies were about blocking Google Voice and other apps, having very restrictive terms in how a native app could be developed, not allowing developers to communicate with each other. That stuff. They say success hides problems. It is because when some aspects of something work well it becomes hard to criticize things. But actually, you want to still pay attention to problems because that is what keeps you competitive. So don't freak out and assume that...
The iPhone has been out for three years. Apple should be able to meet any demand that exists by now. If they can't, that is called mismanagement. I think you are believing false hype. Apple did not change that much in terms of wrestling the control from the carrier. There were smart phone devices on the market already that carriers let ship as they were - the Palm Treo's being among them. Apple did start with a unique deal with ATT but by the time the 3G was shipped they...