or Connect

Posts by junkie

Some of this should go with a grain of salt given that, at least from my perception, these supposedly close to release builds don't seem quite fully cooked. But its also the case that, well, Apple pushes stuff around. Some for good reason, other times it seems they are trying to take us in another direction. Like to me, the dock has improved, I think it is a much better launcher now. If you don't like it, there are usually a ton of freeware hacks that let you fix...
I agree with this sentiment, but i am finding in practice the grid works with the important caveat that more than 10 items and it breaks for me, I can't scan that much visually. For the user longing for menu interface, a consolation might be to create a stack of your favorite folders, then have windows settings for each that let you see the info in a optimal way. Surely, its not the same, but it might be nice it its own way too. Personally, I could never make use of the...
in terms of not having authority, I totally agree. My family know I am expert at this stuff so: 1) they are dependent on my expertise, they'd rather stay ignorant 2) when I tell them things, it does not resonate the way it would from an outside teacher or book 3) when they see how well and how fast I use it they get discouraged, like I can't do that so might as well not try.
Well my Mom who is 75 and an amazing usability test bed does not know what the space bar is called. She uses it, but if I asked her to point at the space bar I don't think she would, I really don't and she is an intelligent person. People don't know the names for things. Like saying "the keyboard", I have have people not know what that is. Its hilarious. They are looking at the screen, really trying to see it. And yes right clicking is well supported in the OS, but to a...
Well this was a force quit - so I said Command Option Q - her response, what is the command key? So I'm glad that key is back, but there again - that "command" was assumed knowledge. Even the right click takes more thinking, control click.Thing I love about the iPhone is that it is actually dead simple. That is the way it should be. There is so much we take for granted. Even though I can do it all on the Mac, I'd still rather it was easier.Actually, it would be really...
I don't think you understood my point. I agree with most of yours. I did not say that Windows is easier to learn - it isn't. You are right, that its totally inconsistent. Clearly, it sucks. I always feel like as soon as I dig into it, it all goes to shit. Like for me System Preferences is on of the strongest areas of Mac experience. Its very easy to use, Leopard helps here a lot, I am talking about Network and other spots. You do that stuff in Windows, dig into prefs and...
I prefer the mac and in general I think Vista is junk, but I would say that there are a few advantages to the windows UI. One is that compared to OSX, there is much less surface area to learn to the full-time OS. OSX: Menubar Apple Menu MenuBar Items (volume, wifi) Dock Vista: Taskbar Startmenu Windows has less stuff to the OS, I give them credit for that. Mac has a lot of areas to learn. For me as a long time user, I am ok with it, but teaching someone...
"secret stuff" aside, there certainly is enough here to qualify as a paid upgrade. The screen sharing itself is worth a lot to me, cutting down on saying to my mother "read to me exactly what you see on the screen from top left to bottom" basically, we are seeing a lot of stuff get cleaned up and made easier. file-sharing being a big one. the transparent menu bar, and a few other changes to me, don't feel quite normal yet. they seem linuxy to me, which is not good. ...
coverflow in finder, "back to mac", new dock design, new finder window in general - for a few were all new added after first unveiling, but agreed that none have had the splash that was expected from the holding stuff back comment.
we'll need 10.5.1 pretty fast if 9a559 is gm - not saying anything but, well we will want that very fast, kinda like same day imho.