or Connect

Posts by unixguru

I'm using a Tibook 1Ghz from work (because no one else is and that means I don't have to buy my own ) This thing has 1 GB RAM and Radeon 9000 graphics. I put Leopard on for testing since I'm sure our users will be adopting it sooner or later. Anyway, it runs decent but I've never worked with this particular machine before either. I don't really know how the speed compares to Tiger. Previous updates of 10.2 through 10.4 Tiger had improved code, especially in the...
I would hold off. I heard there will be a powerbook G5 next tuesday!
All right. I reported it. We'll see what happens.
I just went to buy a song on iTunes (using credit from an iTunes card my GF gave me). At first I had $14.01. I tried to buy a song and it asked me to agree to new terms and conditions. I read them over, accepted them, and then it said "thank you. you may now try your purchase again." BUT, it had already taken 99 cents off my credit and had NOT downloaded the song. When I downloaded it again, iTunes took ANOTHER 99 cents off my credit. How do I report this to apple...
I filed with H&R block over the web for free last year and this year they sent me a CD with their Taxcut software for Windows and Mac. I've bared looked at it but it is Intel and PowerPC native. I don't know if their Canadian software is available for Mac or not but you might want to check. Alternatively you could use some ofthe web-based filing software.
Desktops are more likely to go to commercial, "pro" customers, and Adobe's apps and others aren't Intel native yet. That's part of it. But one thing they need is an EXPANDABLE desktop in the $1,000 range. The iMac just doesn't appeal to me because you can't upgrade the video and you can't slap a PCI-e card in it. You also can't put a second hard drive or optical drive in it like you can with the Mac Pro. $2,000+ is a lot to ask just to be able to play in the...
I have seen this first hand. All of a sudden, more people are asking me about Macs. Seriously. Just because of this Intel thing. I guess it really shouldn't be surprising with all the friggin' advertising Intel does. They've got everyone convinced that you gotta have "Intel Inside"(C)(TM)(R). And if it's not a pentinnium, it's not a real computar! Well ok now it's Core and Cintreeeno. I'm starting to think that Apple should go for co-marketing dollars -- only on TV,...
yes, I did, because I didn't have the hour and a half to spare. It seemed that what was holding everything back was I/O performance. The reason I asked is because I didn't actually get the testing finished. The machine was part of a lab and I was just curious. I don't have an Intel powered Apple machine to do this on. For my own use I have a Powerbook G4 and a Power Mac G5 at work. The Power Mac with its 970FX processor actually runs Virtual PC better than I...
I tried the parallels beta with a trial key and I have to say I was disappointed at the performance. On an Intel Core Duo, Parallels ran quite a bit slower than VMWare did on my Pentium 4 running Windows XP. I didn't even both finishing the Windows install since it said it was going to take an hour and a half. Under VMWare, I was able to install Win98 in about 10 minutes. Apparently VMWare's patented technology is pretty good stuff. I just didn't find the performance...
I went and tried Toast first, and it still says it's too big. Says I need 4.8GB of DVD storage, whereas I have I think 4.6GB.