or Connect

Posts by jfc1138

The potential thief simply tweaks the amplifier/transmitter  on his skimmer and that distance rises to a practical thieving distance. Take a look at the controversy over chipped passports. And I acknowledged the possibility of a lockable NFC ability with a smartphone versus a card in my post. So as usual, it will come down to implementation.
Walk one block over from Fifth Ave. and the crowds disappear. Or approach Rockefeller Center and the ice rink from a side street.
I catch it once in a while heading back from a late night at the MET: since the museum stays open late Fri and Saturday I can walk back down and hit the store around ten when the tourist frenzy has lessened. Makes a nice break before heading on.
Maybe they'll dial the specs back to a simple textbook e-replacement? Then Kindles come into play.
Except iBeacon from what I can tell hasn't been enacted as proprietary.
Not a fan of NFC at the moment: being able to electronically "pick my pocket" at a distance? No thank you. And while I can shield a passport or NFC credit/debit card I can't shield my phone (well I could but then it wouldn't be a phone!). Granted in part that's due to it not being all that ubiquitous, maybe once there's more of an installed base it could make sense, but the security issue would have to be addressed and with a smartphone I expect that's possible by only...
Beyond whatever sort of "teaching tool" pads etc. may be, the e-book replacing the printed textbook is rather inevitable. Easier for children to carry, no more "one size fits all" based on a dominant state to two's demands (yes Texas I'm looking at you), cannot be physically damaged like a paper book so were it deemed still current an e-book can last a lot longer, and be far easier to update instead of replacing the entire physical book and so on.   So school districts...
Sloppy writing. The project is a billion dollars, the device portion is, over the project's life, half that. The remainder is infrastructure and such.
That number is odd (billion) the original news release said $30 million and there was a further $115 million contemplated (which I gather is what has been halted) topping out at a possible $500 million.Also noted in the earlier AI article. Perhaps a lifetime total project cost? [eta: yes, that includes, per the L.A. Times linked-to piece, $500 million in internet and other infrastructure investments that aren't Apple related]From your article:"School board members were...
Quite a bit simpler: the iPads don't change hands: they're issuing one to each student.