or Connect

Posts by mzaslove

Ahhh, Nagras... recorder of choice for in-the-field documentaries and John Lennon.Yeah, I know -- I was just talkin' generally. As I said, I could see a really versatile notebook that was uber-modular specifically. Would be cool. For the normal laptop (MB or MBP), I personally wouldn't want it. Just subjective.
I understand your point, but usually, say I'm on the set, we get done with a shot, we move to another set (or worse, on location, we up and drive somewhere for an afternoon shot). I usually just dump my laptop in my bag and go. I always worry about catching an over-edge card when doing that, and it also ruins the aesthetics. I had to use a firewire card years ago, and a SCSI card as well. Always hated them. Glad when I didn't have to use them anymore... which should...
Yeah, for versatility, it would be kinda cool, but I always hate any cards sticking out over the edge of my MBP (or the previous PowerBook, etc.) -- seemed more clumsy and breakable that way. If they could find a way to make the cards (and their ports) flush, that would be completely modular-ly great.
Thanks. Nice of you to say. I'm not much of a die hard anything (Apple, or whatever), but I must admit we made fun of the one guy on set on my last project who had a Zune. But I feel that was warranted, and shaming him with peer pressure seemed better than having to beat him up.
Well, AD's, script supervisors, PM's, etc., tend to use their laptops with production software like scheduling packages, breakdowns, Excel for keeping track of shots, notes, digital storyboards. Also, for keeping video clips and photos for reference, etc. I keep EVERYTHING on my MBP. On-site editors will have a MacPro rig, and some major RAIDing going on (we always have electricity with Gennies, etc; if not plugs) -- all of it stuffed in some Pelicans or something like...
Maybe "silly" was too strong a word, but it seems that with only one model losing the firewire, nothing is really "finished" yet, so a lot of this (as with other discussions), the extreme passions seem over-the-top. As I said, I can see both sides, though, except for my 9-year-old son's firewire DV vidcam, I have no real need for firewire anymore, so it's not really important to me. [I gave anecdotal evidence because someone really thought their 5 friends not buying...
Thanks, I always shorthand that and get it wrong because my brain is so very small and slow these days (especially when I'm directing, and what little brain function I have is focused on the film). The sound guy doesn't care at all what we the people think. He has his own custom puppy and nyahny-nyahny-nyahny. Also, this is the first time I'm experimenting with high-resolution video rather than film, and I don't even want to get into the coolness of what those cameras...
Whelp, I've been following this for awhile and although I can understand both sides, I find sillier justifications on the pro-firewire side than the no-firewire side (many of them similar to the pro-xMac people: "I want it, therefore I am the majority."). I'm surprised no one has gotten a reporter to find out the real answer. With almost 1500 posts on this thing, if 500 of those were aimed at a tech reporter, I'm sure they'd try to dig into it more (there are a few good...
No one was arguing that there weren't -- but I think the original poster was trying to say that there were really no differences (in health risk) for gays in particular. You had come back and said there were, and your "proving of a point" simply showed that. So, in fact, you proved his point, actually. But now, though it's been wonderful chatting with everyone on a truly important topic (though some would claim the lack of firewire on the latest MB more so), I have half...
EVERYONE now a-days is at risk. It's a shame, because years ago sex was not a gamble with a death sentence (once antibiotics were around at least). But even if I take your chart as accurate, that's only a 2 to 1 difference, and that's hardly close to an order of magnitude or anything really stigmatizing. It's obviously a risk to everyone who has sex. One of the statistics that very rarely is brought up in conversations like this are that partners in long-term gay...