or Connect

Posts by mzaslove

I'll go by the experts, actually, and I in fact did -- top dozen or so in the world today (two were in Italy, one in Germany, there's a great Greek scholar in Athens -- I also went over to England to look at much of the original papers done by the committees working on the KJV). I did my research, and as I said, this is the most up-to-the-minute research. Very few "translations" use the very earliest writings (the King James scholars didn't even have it, though as...
As I said, in essence for faith, but not to be quoted as the "exact" words. God is a Him/Her/Both according to the most "original" version of the Bible, and no recent translation has put that back in. There is no question it's NOT just Him. It's not the "poorness" of Hebrew and earlier (so you claim, but you're not actually correct there, either about Hebrew's "poorness" -- English has quite as many dual meanings, and inaccuracies, thank you very much). It was later...
I was more speaking of the translations of the earliest versions of the Bible so far found (they were not in Sumerian, by the way -- which is not quite a written language in the same way as later ones). In that, the word for God, seems to be closest to an iconic glyph related to the Sumerian that is neither male, nor female, but both. I think it's interesting that the "Him" is a later translation artifact that seems to have been either subjectively inserted, or...
Oddly, I've found that all the English-translated Bibles out now are based on middle-period Hebrew versions and the Greek translations. And, also oddly, you'd be surprised at how different they are from the earliest versions extant. As the light/tone error in translation I mentioned earlier. Totally different meaning, especially when I hear so many people speak of God's light versus the darkness bereft of God. When the "light" is taken out of the translation and...
Which translation of the Bible are you quoting from? I'm always curious, as there are so many translations, all differing quite a bit, branching as they do from the earliest versions that in some ways are almost unrecognizable from what most people call the Bible these days. All the English versions have some definite idiosyncrasies in their translations and very subjective choices were made all along the way by the people doing the translation and rewriting. The "let...
Not to mention which translation. Luther's very concise translation into German? The King James version (which the translators were given very definite rules to use)? The Living Bible? Oddly, when I was doing a year's research for a film on the writing of the King James version of the Bible, I talked to Bible scholars, historians, archeologists, etc. -- fascinating stuff -- but it seems that in the very earliest pieces of the Old Testament (some even before the Dead...
I missed that too! You made my day -- and after hearing the gays made SJ take the Firewire off the Macbook and won't let him release the headless xMac. What is the world coming to?
Gotta be careful when you're punching into your OnStar on one of those babies -- hit one wrong button and BOOM! "Dang, I just wanted to find the nearest coffee shop...."
Hey, watch what you say. My Apple III was flawless, and I did a crapload of movie and television scripts on that machine. And I don't care if my Apple III was the only good one of the bunch -- don't say bad things about my baby (which I then retired after a few years of faithful work, and a card that fit inside that transferred files over to DOS stuff if I recall correctly).
Amen, brother... amen.