or Connect

Posts by JollyPaul

Everyone should have a sense of porpoise in life. So long and thanks for all the fish.
Still down. Like grains of sand through the hour glass, these are the days of our lives.
Energy Drink Corporation releases two beverages: ED RT and ED Pro. ED RT contains scalding horse piss, ED Pro rancid milk. Both are packaged in containers similar enough to cause confusion.   You might question how popular either would be, but certainly a consumer desiring the clumpy goodness of rancid milk would be upset at a tongue burned by scalding horse piss.
  Really? $19 for a charger (that costs a LOT more than a few pence to manufacture) causes people to endanger themselves to the point of death?   The lengths some people go to blame Apple for things boggles my mind.
  Easier access to crap chargers that have not passed the strict safety testing required in other countries? There is a reason for certified safety labs like UL. Plugging random stuff into the mains can be dangerous, particularly when bathing.
New Windows Phone ad: We're doing as well as Blackberry! Huzzah!
  Wearable computing has a future, whatever you choose to call it (watch does sound stodgy). I plan to put one on my cat and make it play a meow MP3 controlled from my iPhone. Then I can command "Speak!" and finally get a response.
I've seen this show before with Microsoft's PowerPC version of Windows NT 3.51. I did NT testing and development on a 601 based box... and then it just went away. All the hype and promise with no follow through left developers with nothing but wasted effort.   Microsoft's partners know RT is a dead end. Probably even Microsoft knows RT is a dead end. $349 for a dead end tablet is not a deal.
  Yes, every company must follow the conflict material rules, but I can tell you from first hand experience it comes down to a chain of unenforcible paperwork pushing requirements down the supply chain to someone who might actually have some control over the source of tin. All the nice paperwork is filed, all the asses are covered, a lot of expense is added and in the end it boils down to whether the source of tin (not the many manufacturers, assemblers or designers...
All consumer electronics use tin. Apple is not a tin smelter and they have no direct control over buying tin ore. They are doing all they can do to investigate, which is more than any other consumer electronics company I know.   It's always stunning to see how some people hold a single consumer electronics company solely responsible for entire other industries, and ignore every other consumer electronics company on the planet using the same materials. It must be...