or Connect

Posts by Mac_128

I really wish this were possible, without turning into the debacle that the launch of Maps was ... and the mess it still is. Albeit it does some things better than Google, but it's easy enough to use both apps side-by-side, and I routinely do. But I fear Apple would have to buy a search engine company and pour money into it for a while before it's ready. I don't care for Bing, and Yahoo is awful. Like it or not, Google is the most reliable, comprehensive and accurate...
That's interesting ... so if you take your watch off at any time while you're out, you're screwed. So in that sense it is tied to your iPhone. 
Which is why it's a complete mystery that the Sport Watch -- the one that is most likely to take some serious impacts, is the one they make out of the less scratch resistant Gorilla glass. Cheaper yes, so I guess you'll be able to afford a replacement sooner when the crystal gets so damaged you can't see your watch face. 
 Also -- Pay is for use with with internet purchases, which don't need NFC -- it's the only way you use Pay at Target right now. Nor do you technically need Touch ID. So there's even more confusion as to whether or not an iPhone 5, 5S & 5C will support Pay via the internet once the Watch enables it. I would imagine, setting up a credit card on a phone without such hardware support would be no different than setting it up on a phone that has it. And if that's the case,...
It's absolutely NOT a coincidence ... it's marketing. They will drive the adoption of the Watch by initially offering only oversized phones for the current models, and limiting earlier iPhones use of Pay to require it. An NFC equipped case like the CashWrap that Incipio made for the iPhone for use with Isis/SoftCard would cost a lot less than even the cheapest Watch offerings. But that does little for Apple's bottom line, which is why they are unlikely to support it....
I've pointed this out before that it is highly unlikely Apple engineered the 5C without considering they would be able to easily update the internals with the 5S components. As it is, the 5C is going to get two less years in the marketplace than any other Apple design (which usually has a 4 year lifespan). The 5C debuted at mid-tier and now it's the bottom tier. If Apple follows their usual pattern, it'll be gone after only 2 years -- that's a lot of R&D down the drain,...
Obviously the device that uses Pay must have NFC, so the Watch has it. The 5S, for example, doesn't. but that wouldn't stop it from being set up with a credit card in Passport, which then communicates with the Watch to enable the watch to use the credit card. And Touch ID is obviously not the only way to use Pay, just like you can use a 4-digit code to unlock your iPhone now, or Touch ID. My 5S currently will not let me add a credit card to Passport, so I assume that...
No. Marketing encompasses profit motives. Why market and advertise if not to make money?My conclusion is based on your analysis -- if there's no technological motive for leaving out the 4S, and not allowing Pay to be set up with other compatible devices, then it must be to sell more iPhones, arguably at the expense of selling more Watches, and making more Pay transactions. But, I'm also willing to accept that they want to ensure a smooth rollout on their current...
Well then you're saying that it's done for marketing purposes. In other words, you have to have an iPhone to have an Watch. I know a lot of people who have Android and Windows phones (or even Blackberrys), who also have iPads, iPod Touches, and/or Macs, and who have expressed interest in the Watch. But too bad, they're going to have get an iPhone to use it, because Apple is not going to support it on their iPad, or Mac, even though they probably easily could.  So I'll...
As does most post 2012 iPads and Macs, which is what also enables PeerToPeer over AirPlay.So now I'm really curious ... Is it an arbitrary cut-off forcing a near current iPhone purchase? I mean if it's an iOS only implementation for now, the iPad can certainly handle that with no issues, as well as the iPod Touch. So I feel like there must be something about the iPhone pairing which the watch requires that other devices can't otherwise accommodate as easily ... I'm not...