or Connect

Posts by Mac_128

Well it's not like I'm suggesting they shouldn't explore it. Apple explores a great many things as evidenced from their patent filings alone, and that in turn benefits the products they do bring to market. The 69% margin is what was widely reported after the teardown of the iPhone 6. But still 40% is an incredibly healthy margin compared to the automotive industry.
No doubt, but will it allow for the same kinds of margins that Apple is used to? People are only willing to pay so much for a car, and then they drive them into the ground. In order for Apple to hold their margins where they are used to, they'll end up being the new Bentley of car makers, priced significantly higher than their competitors and only affordable to its customers who can afford the Edition watch. They certainly don't want to start subsidizing a car. I don't see...
Apple is the BMW of PCs, Smartphones, and Tablets. Considering BMW at best can only expect a 10% margin on the cars they sell, where is the evidence to support that Apple could do as well as they do with the iPhone (which some say is as high as 69% on the iPhone 6), after they recoup the billions in capital required to start up a business of this magnitude? Looking at the current industry, even if Apple manages to streamline the auto industry, eliminate the middleman, and...
Apple may very well build a car someday, and while I agree the business model translates similarly, it differs in one very big way -- the car business is by and large a capital intensive, low profit margin, business. The premium automakers make something in the realm of around 6-10% any given year, while most automakers make something less than 5%. In other words, Apple will have to invest heavily to launch the business, only to receive little in return, forcing them to...
Maybe, but it's hard to imagine that when it it costs 4x as much as the basic fitness trackers out there, at least for someone who is interested in fitness only. For so little money, even if it only lasts a couple of years, it won't be a negative, because the replacement model will likely be cheaper and do more.  Apple can't really compete against that, at least initially. If the watch follows the same pattern as does the iPhone, they might release a new distinct model...
While tis is true, it would have to happen at the expense of the iPod line. So either iPods have been doing much worse than we know, or the ATV is selling about as well as it ever has. 
And again, it should fairly easy to figure out what percentage of income that represents, even with factoring in declining iPod sales. Trying to figure out which watches that represents will be a little more complicated, especially since there will be Edition sales in the next earnings call in July.
I would agree with that in that circumstance. But the reality is when people start talking to their AI as a primary interface, and the majority of people start doing it, then it will be assumed the majority of people doing it aren't crazy, where as at the moment, those people are in the minority and are likely to be crazy. The problem with it of course is that everyone can hear your conversation, which you may not want, nor do others want to hear. Imagine if everyone in a...
 I'm currently using a Tagg GPS tracker for my dog. Worth every penny. It's waterproof, has GPS, a fitness tracker, reports ambient temperature, and stays charged for up to a week. Granted it's not a watch per se, since it doesn't tell time, but it does do most of the other things the Watch does. Prior to getting this Tagg tracker, I seriously considered placing an old iPhone on my dog so I could "locate my iPhone" and find her during a period when she was finding ways to...
If Siri is where it's all going, then the watch is truly a stepping stone to what we saw in HER. People are already suggesting that people walking around talking into their watches will become a normal, socially acceptable part of society. So, no more watch, but an earwig, and fully conversant AI. Or perhaps we'll all have Star Trek The Next Generation style com badges for those who don't like putting things in their ears and don't care who hears what's being said -- you...