or Connect

Posts by Mac_128

I'm happy to concede this if it's true, but lets look at the facts -- Apple machines a block of metal into any shape they want. Wouldn't square corners be a lot easier to manufacture than the rounded ones? Considering virtually every product Apple sells begins like as a block of aluminum on a lathe, I'd venture to say it doesn't matter if the computer carves out a round or square shape, especially since they recycle all of that metal anyway. Apple wants rounded corners as...
I'm happy to concede any practical consideration for choosing square over round for the initial product launch, and I've agreed processing power and battery concerns are a good one in this case. I don't agree that smart watch functions need to select items from a scrollable list. In the same way the iPhone doesn't simply mimic OS X, and there are unique ways of accessing information on an iPhone than from a desktop -- the watch has it's own unique interface ... and...
You're not looking closely enough. The point of that example graphic is there's no difference at all over what Apple is currently implementing. The Watch currently has a border that results in "clipped" text and images, specifically implemented by Ive as a conscious design choice (he could have taken the display to the edge). In fact this is a style choice that compromises the display size.  The "waste of space" is filled with information from the original screen, thus...
Most likely it was not a perpetual license, indeed it might have only been valid for iOS 6 only. Part of that settlement included damages for infringement. And that's Apple -- they have $178 billion in reserve, so even $21 million tossed away on a clock that no longer aesthetically pleases the design team is not an issue. Also, I'm not sure about this, but I also got that the clock face was a Scott Forstall decision as part of his skeuomorphic design implementation,...
And this is certainly a very good reason for why Ive also said the rectangular shape was to obvious choice for the launch of this product. This is practical reason for confining the shape of the display to a rectangle. At least at first. Since I have demonstrated graphically that a virtual text box could be overlaid on a circle without losing any size, the round shape could be easily accommodated by restricting the peripheral spaces to static information only, allowing...
Well, it's all about context isn't it? If the advantages of presenting information on a circular display outweigh the disadvantages of choosing the shape itself, then I would expect it to be used, where fashion and style are not also considerations. But how does a round smart phone seem practical? For starters, people watch movies and play HD video games on smartphones, so in order to get a screen the same size as a current smartphone, the phone would have to be...
Nope. Watches will not be sold to walk-in customers at brick and mortar stores on April 24th, they will only be available as pre-orders until Apple advises otherwise, and they have not set a date when the watches will be available for purchase in the stores. If you could line up outside an Apple Store with an equal chance of buying one on the 24th, there would be no issue. But you can't.Yeah that's ethical. And constrains supplies for others. But hey, as long as people...
Yup, even Apple is not immune from that mentality, and it cost them $21 million.
It is designed to look at photos, so it should be wider than narrower to address that need as well since most photos tend to be landscape, following this argument. For instance, the remote camera app does not give a true viewfinder of what the iPhone camera is seeing. Most pictures taken with the iPhone are going to be 16x9 landscape. The Watch might account for this, but it will still be smaller than on a round watch which is more versatile for both height and width....
But I've already demonstrated graphically that none of that has to be compromised on the Watch as it currently exists. Indeed, with a round shape, photos can be larger since photos tend to be more horizontal than vertical, making round a somewhat more versatile display choice to accommodate everything the watch can do, than square. The only real complaint I see you have against a round watch is that round would be wider than the rectangular watch currently is. However,...