or Connect

Posts by lukevaxhacker

Sometimes when placed in a dock, you get an ugly squawk out of the dock. I can't tell if this is specific to the 3GS or the 3.0 software (it happens with my old 3G, too, I think). Oddly, our digital answering machine, which doesn't talk to my iPhones at all, gives the most frequent squawks. I presume this means some kind of electronic interference. Switching to Airplane Mode does *not* help the problem. Perhaps we're all carrying little broadcasting units for Steve's...
Oracle's CEO Larry Ellison is on Apple's board. Oracle's database software runs on MacOS X . Still haven't *quite* convinced my Oracle employee neighbor to get a Mac, though...
On January 2, 1998, I got a call from an Apple Employee customer to take a look at the commissioned sales numbers. I worked for MCI Systemhouse supporting Apple's IT department in Napa, CA. One of my responsibilities was to support a system to process commissions for Apple's sales force. Those numbers she saw were from the G3 desktop systems which Apple released the previous summer. Later that January at MacWorld 1998, Steve Jobs would give the first of his many "Just One...
Just saw a banner pop up from Google for Yes on Prop 8... For the thread starter, just remember that other conservatives like Rush Limbaugh (at least was at one time) use Macs. Heck, I still float the idea in my head of forming R.U.M. (Republican Users of Macintoshes)... Once you give a company money for a product, they are free to use it as they like, although a lot of outside folks try influencing their decisions. On the other hand, organizations who represent...
Russian President Using a 17 inch Mac for his video blog. Any thoughts on which one?
I perceive these guys do not admire those who have money. Ergo, they likely don't have a lot themselves. Truth be told, though, quite a few company employees are worth less to the company than what they are paid. To these people's surprise, though, that's not just at the top, but all the way down to the custodial staff.
Well, accounting firms are partnerships rather than corporations, but at one time, Arthur Young, a major accounting firm, now part of Ernst and Young, used Apple ][s and Macintoshes extensively (in the early 80s, they were their *only* desktop computer). They also happened to be Apple, Inc.'s independent auditors. (though if you're using some of your clients products, how independent can you be? \) In the mid-90s, Ernst and Young got rid of their Macs. Their MIS (call them...
Some of the *execution* is blocked by courts and *other* lawsuits. Apple and AT&T should add all the NGOs, individuals, and their lawyers blocking cell tower construction. At my daughter's elementary school a few years ago, the school and parents (as in The Laurel School in their official newsletters) tried to stop AT&T from installing cell towers on their own building (which is within half a block of the school). A doctor spoke up about their fears at a PTA-equivalent...
Sorry, guy, I haven't looked that much further, but check out the September 2008 issue of Mac|Life for someone *else* who is having problems using their iPhone in Manhattan. Brian Vickers uses a Sprint phone there instead. I wonder what they do in Apple's Flagship store down there... Sorry, no link. Mac|Life's website doesn't seem to have that print article. Random thoughts related to my subject: AT&T current advertising slogan may be more useful to Chili's then...
I read the Apple Download webpage as saying only 10.4.11 (Tiger) users need this update. Apparently, us Leopard users don't need it.