or Connect

Posts by JavaCowboy

I wasn't sure whether to post this under Apple Hardware or Third Party Products since technically, my question is about interoperability between both.   I'm presently contemplating buying a 4K monitor to hook up to my MacBook Pro Retina.   According to this site, Apple doesn't officially recommend a 2012 MacBook Pro be used with a 4K monitor.   https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT202856   However, I'm wondering if it will work *unofficially*, as I'm getting...
Why would they remove all the USB 3 ports when peripherals like keyboards, mice, USB sticks, most external drives and miscellaneous devices still use USB 2/3. Why would they keep HDMI when Thunderbolt 3 can do HDMI with an adapter and HDMI connections to third party monitors aren't nearly as common as the USB peripherals?
With Thunderbolt 3 and its USB type c and HDMI compatibility, I'm wondering what a future 15 inch MacBook Pro's port configuration will look like. This is what it is currently: 2 USB 3 2 Thunderbolt 2 1 HDMI 1 headphone jack 1 SD card slot 1 MagSafe power outlet What do you think? This is my humble prediction (which will most likely be wrong). 3 Thunderbolt 3 1 Thunderbolt 2 2 USB 3 1 headphone jack 1 SD card slot Edit: this will probably only happen next year Edit:...
So, I'm guessing you either live in Quebec or some part of the rest of Canada that serves, what the English part of a Montreal restaurant menu translates as, "calorie fries". Unfortunately, I'm too health-conscious to indulge myself too often.My counter-argument to your independent developer assertion is that, currently, it's only possible to develop in Swift for either an iOS or OS X app. As far as I know, there's been no attempt to port Swift to other platforms. ...
Sorry, but I'm highly sceptical of all these surveys that state that language X is popular. They're meaningless in a world where developers employers dictate which language their debs use. The language I'm paid to code in is not my favourite, not even close.
Well, C++ 11 and 14 have some compelling new features, but I guess also still retain a lot of the baggage as well. Also, from what I've read, Apple is a big C++ user and backer of the new features.I agree with your assertion that Swift isn't a general purpose language, but is more domain specific. Still, as a mobile development language, it is now superior to the default development language for Android, instead of the other way around.What do you mean by "describe data...
You seem to (correct me if I'm wrong) view Swift as the "one true language" that will solve everybody's problems. No one language is a panacea. Each language has its own domain and its own set of requirements.This is how I view the programming language landscape:1) Extremely low-level programming: Assembly2) Moderate low-level programming: C, Go, Swift (maybe, due to ARC)3) Enterprise/business level programming: Java, COBOL, C#, Ceylon, Kotlin4) Systems programming:...
 How many Mac users run BootCamp to play Windows-only games? I wouldn't be surprised if this is a significant number.
 In my limited searching I haven't seen anything to prove or disprove that USB Type-C can do ethernet. The current USB to ethernet adapter sold by Apple only supports USB 2.0.
 So.... way way way way slower (like USB 2 slower) than Thunderbolt does ethernet, correct?