or Connect

Posts by JavaCowboy

What's wrong with any of the alternative JVM languages such as Ceylon, Kotlin, Scala, Groovy, etc?
 One good thing about Swift is because it's such a new language there's a good chance they'll adopt this feature soon.
 Let me ask you a question. Can I do this with Swift enums (as it's not clear from the Swift language guide):enum StringOrIntegercase Stringcase IntegerDo I need to define my own case classes within the enum, or can I wrap an enum around everything?What I'm really asking is can I do the equivalent of String|Integer easily in Swift via an enum.And, again, String|Integer is a contrived example. I'm asking about doing this for any classes otherwise unrelated in the class...
 In a JVM language, creating extra classes leads to more classes needed by the classloader and more classes allocated to the heap (there are no structs/value types at the JVM level presently). I know Swift does have structs which makes this more of a moot point for that language. I realize in an object-oriented language you need to create classes to get work done, but with Java 8 lambdas there will hopefully be a lot less classes needed and several class-heavy design...
 Not the same thing.If you read this, you'll understand:http://ceylon-lang.org/documentation/1.1/tour/types/
 I guess we should agree to disagree, because I see a monumental difference between syntactic sugar around a struct with conditional members and a fundamental feature of many language's type systems, including Haskell, ML, OCaML, Ceylon, etc.If I want a union between String and Integer, how do I do this in your subclassing example? I would need to treat both as Object? In my switch statement, I would need to explicitly check for String or Integer and then throw an...
Read thishttp://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tagged_union
Your childish comment was uncalled for. Perhaps I misinterpreted your assertion as implying an imaginary Apple infallibility, but a misinterpretation of a comment and an attempt at some petty squabbling are two vastly different things.I'm simply pointing out a possibility that you seem to steadfastly deny that Apple made one or more mistaking designing their newfangled language. My seeming misinterpretation of as supposed belief in Apple's infallibility comes from your...
 [sarcasm]Yes, Apple never makes any mistakes, and has never made any[/sarcasm]. Apple does consumer hardware and software better than most other companies most of the time, it doesn't mean they don't occasionally screw up. Or are you one of those people that would blame others for legitimate Apple mistakes? (ex the Cube).
What's wrong with different companies having different programming languages? Java's ubiquity has not been without problems, and with ubiquity there is the danger of complacency. Red Hat has Ceylon, Typesafe has Scala, Microsoft has C# and F#, etc. Apple has specific requirements for Swift, first and foremost is integrating with the Objective-C runtime and the Cocao libraries. Just because I disagree with some of their language design choices doesn't mean I'm...