or Connect

Posts by JavaCowboy

Can I upgrade my Samsung phone to the latest version of Android? No? Why not? You said you were good for consumers, right?
As much as it's a good thing that Samsung was called out for being the blatant Apple copying machine that they are, it's still tragic that software patents for trivial "inventions" (like one-click shopping) are rampant in the U.S. Software patent law needs to be reformed, or software patents need to be abolished altogether. Also, how much you want to bet this gets quickly appealed?
I installed 10.8.1 about an hour ago.   It's too early to say about the battery life, but before and after the update my rMBP runs hotter than the sun when I'm running Diablo III.  According to the iStat Pro Dashboard widget, my GPU was running close to 79 degrees celcius (165 fahrenheit) when I was running Diablo and the fans were spinning like crazy.  Now it's down to 110 fahrenheit.   This is downright scary hot.   Hopefully this gets fixed in 10.8.2 because it's...
Appeal?
 Tivio's business model is completely broken, since the cable companies subsidize their own PVR boxes. Apple requires healthy profit margins on all their hardware, so how is this going to fly? Besides, I'm sure Apple has no desire to be a middle man, since their M.O. has been to deal directly with content providers. Apple going through the cable companies to provide content, as well as requiring their customers to have cable subscriptions, make absolutely no sense. ...
So much for the cord cutters.
Tell that to all the fortune 500 companies that run their businesses on Java on the server. Also, desktop Java GUIs (ie Swing) aren't entirely dead for custom stuff.Agreed about killing Flash.
First of all, I'd rather have a look n feel that looks like ass than be months late on releases and security fixes.Secondly, Nimbus does not look like ass.
It would have been better if Apple never was the only source of Java on OS X in the first place.
Good.  Now OS X is finally a first class citizen in the Java world.  I can expect JDK 8 at the same time and Windows, Linux and Solaris users and don't have to deal with Apple dragging its feet, as it did when it shipped Leopard with only JDK 5 (6 was out).   This is excellent news all around.