or Connect

Posts by JavaCowboy

It would have been better if Apple never was the only source of Java on OS X in the first place.
Good.  Now OS X is finally a first class citizen in the Java world.  I can expect JDK 8 at the same time and Windows, Linux and Solaris users and don't have to deal with Apple dragging its feet, as it did when it shipped Leopard with only JDK 5 (6 was out).   This is excellent news all around.  
Oracle is currently working on a Mac version of Java 7 for OS X, but the end user version won't be ready until the fall. Currently, only Apple distributes any version of Java for OS X.
As long as Apple distributes a version of Java, it must live up to its responsibilities to patch that version promptly with security updates. Patching a known security vulnerability 2 months after Oracle did is unacceptable.
I'm generally on Apple's side whenever some media outlet cries wolf over some imagined Apple security blunder. In the past, it's all been massively exaggerated. However, in this case, Apple really screwed up. They screwed up because 10 years ago they insisted on distributing their own version of Java, and then backed away from that commitment and neglected Java to the point where major updates would be a year late and security updates where months late. This is...
This goes to show why Apple did the right thing by handing over Mac Java to Oracle and getting out of the game of rolling their own JDK/JRE. Apple has always been quite late in updating Java, not just for major releases, but for security fixes as well. This has always been the case, even when Apple was gung ho on Java in the early 2000's. Due to their previous commitments, they still have an obligation to maintain the Java releases within that commitment, including...
I'm fine with Apple taking away the optical drive on the new MacBook Pros, but if they reduce hard drive space, that's not going to work with me. The current specs have a max hard drive of 750 GB. If they maintain this, I'm fine with it. If, however, this is limited to 256 GB (the largest solid state drives I've heard of), or they make a regular hard drive an expensive build to order option, then I won't be happy. I want to install Linux on it, and possibly...
None of you probably care, but this probably mean that Linux users either get left out entirely or have to install legally grey H.264 plugins themselves.
I think it's safe to say RIM is at the top of the tech dead pool and will soon be a takeover target. So will take them over? Google won't unless they're not allowed to take over Motorola Mobility. Apple has no use for them. HP just left mobile and desktop computing. So who's left? Microsoft: Even with their pact with Nokia this is still possible, though they would bury the entire software division. Dell: I don't see how Dell could be even worse off...
How much money did Amazon spend developing one-click shopping? How much are they making in royalty payments? That sounds like a free lunch to me.