or Connect

Posts by JavaCowboy

If Google were all about open and free standards, they'd drop support for Flash as well in Chrome. Now they're ensuring Flash gets an advantage over HTML5.
Apple has said very little so far about Lion aside from some of its GUI features. Much more lies in store for this OS. What do you think is coming that Apple has not yet announced? This is what I'm thinking: 1) New home-grown filesystem. 2) Official deprecation of Carbon (as they're done with Java) 3) XCode 4 4) Some kind of initial support for resolution independence.
This is one detail I'm not entirely clear on, as per Mike Swingler: http://lists.apple.com/archives/Java.../msg00104.html "There are several parts of our Java SE 6 implementation (like the AWT widgets) that are not contributable, in much the same way that several parts of Oracle's implementation are not." What does this mean? Does this mean that all of AWT for OS X needs to be rewritten by Oracle, or are the "widgets" just a small subset of the OS X Swing...
I've bought 3 Macs and 4 iPods over the last 10 years, so don't conclude that I'm an Apple basher. My wife recently switched from a BB to an iPhone at work. She hated the iPhone and switched to a Torch about 2 weeks later. This is despite the fact that she has an iPod touch and loves it. As a phone and a business device, she said it was deficient for the following reasons: 1) The phone quality was lousy and she kept getting dropped calls. To be fair, the person...
Disclosure: I'm a Java developer, but I do enterprise server-side development, not web development. Having said that, I agree with Apple's decision to deprecate Java, and I'm not foaming at the mouth like some Java devs are. Apple has been slowly backing out of their commitment to Java made in 2000, and this is the continuation of that long process. Losing the Java devs who buy Mac Pros and MacBook Pros would have been devastating to Apple in 2000, now it's a...
Apple should split up iTunes into at least 3 different apps: Hardware Sync Music Movies App Store The Mac App Store will be a separate app, and all apps on the iPad/iPhone/iTouch are separated out into music/movies/itunes store/app store. That seems to be Apple's plan. What probably holds them back is how to distribute such separate apps to Windows users without annoying them. And, yes, such separate apps could relatively easily each be written in Cocoa.
Any speculation as to when Apple starts deprecating Carbon? It will definitely happen eventually, the question is when. I think the only thing holding back Carbon deprecation is the fact that MS Office (well, Word, Excel and PowerPoint) is written in Carbon. Since Adobe re-wrote CS5 in Cocoa, the only thing keeping Carbon alive is Microsoft (yeah, I know lots of other apps are still written in Carbon, but Microsoft is the only company with the leverage to keep it...
Apple made a major commitment to their customers to providing Java on Mac (as opposed to Sun doing it) back in 2000. It's their responsibility to ensure an orderly transition to an Oracle-maintained JVM if they won't do it themselves.
Our Java apps run just fine with thousands of users, thank you very much. We're trying to decommission all of our mainframe apps because they're just about impossible to maintain and have archaic interfaces. Add to that the fact that they're difficult to audit and thus to meet our regulatory obligations.
What spite? Java is still open source. OpenOffice is still open source. VirtualBox is still open source. Glassfish is still open source. Technically, OpenSolaris is still open source. Where did you get this information?Even the W3C recommends against using it.You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Oracle practically runs their business on Java. They have zero incentive to pull it. What's more, they just convinced IBM to contribute to OpenJDK. ...