or Connect

Posts by JavaCowboy

You haven't addressed the fundamental question. A subscription model won't work, because I can't afford to visit all the sites I currently visit if they all were to force me to buy a subscription. The question is, no more matter how tasteful and non-intrusive their ads are, how are these sites supposed to survive without advertising? Indeed, how is, say, 90% of the internet supposed to survive without advertising? Do you really want to live in a future where every...
Do a google/bing for either "Safari Reader Nuclear" or "Safari Reader Mass Destruction" and see what you come up with.
What's to stop MPEG LA from changing the license terms, as the owners of GIF and JPEG did?
You're totally wrong. If Mozilla includes H.264 support in Firefox, then they can't distribute the source code. That means they can no longer operate as an open-source project.
This is another example why the U.S. and a handful of other countries have totally insane "intellectual property" laws. Software patents don't make sense. There are millions of different ways to implement a video codec, such as Ogg Theora, but some company fall just short of filing a patent for "displaying video over the web" and then use that patent as a weapon against anybody else who would implement such a player (I'm exaggerating, of course). I'm not saying Ogg...
In Objective-C, private APIs (such as whatever were used for the wireless sync app) are not really private because developers can still find them due to the nature of the language and the runtime. This is in contrast to a managed runtime like Java and .NET, where private APIs really are hidden behind developers because they're not public methods. Apple needs to come to terms with the disadvantages of using a 20+ year old programming language that has seen little...
Blackberry is still the preferred smartphone for the enterprise. Usability aside, BBs still rule this market because of the enterprise software ecosystem, including custom apps, and the superior encryption features. Usability doesn't count for much, because the people who buy corporate smartphones (CFOs and purchasing managers) are different from the people who use them (employees). As long as BB meets the feature list requirements for keeping corporate data secure...
Apple isn't licensing that tech from Nokia even though everybody else in the industry is. These aren't software patents but patents on real physical technology. On the other hand, Nokia has refused to license the tech to apple on the same reasonable, non-discriminatory terms as everybody else. They want access to some of Apple's valuable patents, one that Apple really doesn't want to license. This is the issue. Hopefully the courts and the ITC will be smart enough...
One thing that Flash does is help keep Linux available as a desktop computing option. All web content is available to Linux users in part thanks to Flash. If that content switches to HTML 5 and H.264, then Linux users won't be able to view it with an open-source browser. The only option would conceivably be Google Chrome, once that version comes out of beta for Linux.
I tried XCode and while there is code completion, it doesn't stack up well against Eclipse and Netbeans (again, I'm talking about the code editor, not the whole IDE).Yes, but underneath Objective-C, you have C, with all of its advantages and flaws. For many things, Objective-C is more verbose than languages like Java or Ruby, because you need to define many things twice in the header file and the object file. I'm not speaking out of ignorance, I read a book on it and...