or Connect

Posts by JavaCowboy

Wrong again. The compiler, runtime and standard libraries were all open sourced, with the exception of the Java applet runtime and some sun. libraries. The version of Java distributed by Oracle is binary that includes source code that developers can use for debugging within an IDE, but the openjdk codebase is open source and is available to download. That's the JDK that Red Hat and the other Linux distros distribute. That version has passed the TCK and had been...
You're wrong. Java has been open sourced under GPL2, with exemptions such as the sun. packages and the browser plugin. But here's the rub: Java is patented in such a way that only a complete implementation is licensed royalty-free, not a superset or a subset.
This is HUGE and will have a substantial impact of Apple's fortunes with the iPhone/touch/iPad. Why is nobody talking about this? http://arstechnica.com/open-source/n...redibility.ars
Now the XCode editor finally catches up to Visual Studio, Eclipse, and Netbeans. The code completion and debugging was inferior to those IDEs. Now Apple is applying a formula that works, which is the single window view of the other IDEs. Still, they managed to also come up with at least one brand-new idea. The code and GUI side-by-side view is something I haven't seen, but is a fantastic idea.
You haven't addressed the fundamental question. A subscription model won't work, because I can't afford to visit all the sites I currently visit if they all were to force me to buy a subscription. The question is, no more matter how tasteful and non-intrusive their ads are, how are these sites supposed to survive without advertising? Indeed, how is, say, 90% of the internet supposed to survive without advertising? Do you really want to live in a future where every...
Do a google/bing for either "Safari Reader Nuclear" or "Safari Reader Mass Destruction" and see what you come up with.
What's to stop MPEG LA from changing the license terms, as the owners of GIF and JPEG did?
You're totally wrong. If Mozilla includes H.264 support in Firefox, then they can't distribute the source code. That means they can no longer operate as an open-source project.
This is another example why the U.S. and a handful of other countries have totally insane "intellectual property" laws. Software patents don't make sense. There are millions of different ways to implement a video codec, such as Ogg Theora, but some company fall just short of filing a patent for "displaying video over the web" and then use that patent as a weapon against anybody else who would implement such a player (I'm exaggerating, of course). I'm not saying Ogg...
In Objective-C, private APIs (such as whatever were used for the wireless sync app) are not really private because developers can still find them due to the nature of the language and the runtime. This is in contrast to a managed runtime like Java and .NET, where private APIs really are hidden behind developers because they're not public methods. Apple needs to come to terms with the disadvantages of using a 20+ year old programming language that has seen little...