or Connect

Posts by aegisdesign

More so than any phone it's going to be tricky getting good quality games with just accelerometers and a touch screen. Most phone number pads are also pretty terrible for gaming on and you can quickly knacker the phone playing games on it. Even Nokia's Ngage phones and games aren't that thrilling an experience although perhaps calling them "simple games" in the table is more than a little unfair. My favourite games on my phone are the LucasArts adventures via a ScummVM...
Couple of points Daniel. About updates and iPhone v n95 sales. The lack of updates from other vendors is overplayed here and quite incorrect. Apple *has* to provide updates because the iPhone is missing features. Your list of complaints is simply a list of features the other guys wouldn't miss out in a 1.0 release never mind a 2.0. The other guys aren't really missing features so no need to update other than for bug fixes. Their features might not be so pretty but...
Of course. I co-own a magazine and was a technical editor. I'm fully aware what happens when readers decide to pass right through instead of stopping. Been there, lived on beans on toast for 3 months.I like AI because there's more signal and less noise in the forums than say MacRumors. The rumours are often juicy too. They do that extremely well. I skip the financial analyst pieces generally and If I wanted analysis and opinion though, I'd go to Ars or Daring...
I really don't. AI should keep to what it does best though, publish rumours, not opinion pieces.
'Prince Mclean' who writes overly long fanboy-ish badly researched regurgitated drivel here is 'Daniel Eran Dilger' who writes overly long fanboy-ish badly researched regurgitated drivel over on roughlydrafted.com. It's almost as badly put together as Paul Thurrott's finest works although more gushingly sickly. At least Thurrott is bitter and twisted. I mean... "a direct challenge to most profitable markets of the high volume handset leaders including Nokia, Samsung, and...
Isn't there a 'Send contact as SMS|Email|Bluetooth' option in contacts ? If not there probably should be as it negates the need for cut/copy/paste most of the time. I'm still slightly puzzled by the furore over the lack of cut/copy/paste since it's something I very rarely use on my phone..... but if there's no 'Send ... as ...' I can perhaps see why you'll be after the more general old desktop metaphor.
That works for me on UIQ already and has done since 2003. :-)The only important differences are that the cursor is flashing on UIQ until you hold it in one place for long enough and then it stops flashing to indicate it's in selection mode. No colour changes.The other major difference is the keyboard is optional (you use gestures to 'type') and no magnifying glass of course so a stylus is needed to see what you're doing under your finger, but the selection is the same. I...
On UIQ (on Symbian) you hold your stubby finger over the text for a short while and drag to select. Apps then have an edit menu and pull down like desktop OSs to cut/copy/paste. The delay in holding your stubby finger there for long enough signifies you're wanting to select text rather than just move the caret. On the iPhone I'd guess they'd do the same but instead of the edit menu they'd pop up a box asking what to do with the selection since adding an edit menu to every...
Is there a transcript of the results call online? I think people are reading too much into this and missing the elephant in the room. The 'product transition' is actually happening now - it's the iPhone 3G and the App store. Apple is hoping to sell a boat load of them next year and the margins on them are slim, like any phone except the old iPhone which had bigger margins. This reduces Apple's overall margins. The fallout financially for Apple won't be in this past...
Those three chips are just signal amplifiers though. They're the analogue side of the picture. IIRC you also need a digital baseband processor capable of HSUPA and if they used the Infineon SGOLD3H processor they were rumoured to use, it's not capable of HSUPA, just HSDPA.