or Connect

Posts by Bruce Young

Worst iMac update ever. Yes, the Ivy Bridge processor is certainly better. (Though, fact that Intel uses lower effeciency chip-to-heatsink technology may be a future disaster for the hot running iMacs.) Removing user upgradable RAM from the 21-inch model. Bad move. Making the HD drives to be 5400 RPM, where the previous model had 7200 RPM - bad move. It seems that they have switched to 2.5-inch laptop form factor HD drives (I am guessing). A change that no Mac article...
  Just FYI, I have installed several anti-reflective films (from reputable and well-regarded vendors). In my experience, while cutting down on reflections, some also introduce a slight 'twinkle' effect to the pixels, which I find to be a sad trade-off in order to cut down on reflections.   If shiny reflective surface works for you, OK, fine. But the glossy surface is not very good for my eyes, causing more eye-strain and visual 'tiredness', at least that's how I...
seems multiple opinions on true nature of Facebook to Address Book (Contacts) connection. I am hesitant to do the 10.8.2 update, even though historically, each Apple OS release needs to get to about .3 or .4 before it seems to have cleaned up most of the new version issues.   So what I would like to know, if anyone can answer, is there a way to Prevent/Prohibit/Turn OFF the Facebook integration connection? Or is it forced on everyone who needs and gets the 10.8.2...
    I agree that I do not want Apple OS pushing Facebook integration to me. And as I rarely use Facebook there is NO WAY that I want share or sync my personal full Contacts with Facebook...   This might be a great opportunity for Bresink TinkerTool or similar apps to find a way to disable the Facebook elements... One can hope.     The other change that I read was that Mail app is now going to default to opening unsent draft messages when opening -- uhh, wtf -- or did I...
  In setting up a new MacBook Air 13 yesterday, which was updated to Mountain Lion 8.0 at the store by Apple Genius, the only bugginess I notice so far is, one, well two things --   1) perhaps related to TallestSkil s issue, some window columns cannot be drag-resized. I am trying to remember which windows this happened in, I think it was in Updates and some Spotlight and Search results.  I thought it weird, because I could drag only the farthest right column width, but no...
That's definitely one of the things I like about the Mac environment -- so much easier to install and switch between multiple OS versions than to try similar trick with my windows machines.   And on original topic of any prior OS release overlaps:   Panther 10.3 10.3.0  Oct 24, 2003 ... 10.3.9  Apr 15, 2005  (Final)   Tiger 10.4 10.4.0  Apr 29, 2005 ... 10.4.10  Jun 20, 2007 10.4.11  Nov 14, 2007  (Final)   Leopard 10.5 10.5.0  Oct 26, 2007  (overlapped previous...
    Factors to consider: (a) last Mac mini release was July 2011. And typically they get refreshed about once a year. Sometimes more sometimes less. (b) the July Mini low end used Core i5-2415M chip, at 2.3 GHz with 35W TDP.    So that corresponding new 3rd gen Ivy Bridge chip would -presumably- be the i5-3320M at 2.6 GHz and 35W.   (Though, it sometimes seems Apple gets special not-off-the-shelf chips runs from Intel.)  And this series of chips is projected to be...
Attached are the second and third charts from that March 27 CPU-World article, with projections for the second phase, early June Ivy Bridge release -- mostly lower TDP and mobile chips.  And the anticipated projections for the Ivy Bridge i-3 dual core series third phase release, currently presumed to be third quarter of 2012.    
Of course, till chips and data "officially" show, this is all speculation, but charts and articles I have seen show that 77W TDP is still the plan for their first release of the desktop family chips, and with mobile series (projected June release) at lower TDP ranges.Again, speculation, but some articles I have seen suggest that references to TDP of 95W for Ivy Bridge may be to define an upper limit to the power range for the whole Ivy Bridge family, and not necessarily be...
Interesting chart. And it does look like strong Lion uptake. Though, it is only for Omni application users... I wish there was a graph that shows OS uptake (across all OS X users) in two components:- those who intentionally upgrade from a previous OS release, vs. - those who get the newer OS because it came on the machine they bought.(but that's just my curiosity) I will say that I like the Omnigroup folks - even bought their whole suite of apps a few years back.