or Connect

Posts by Bruce Young

I am hoping this means: a) the icons no longer jump around from time to time when you drag a new item to an icon view window! b) the icon spacing (in icon view) is tighter, closer -- like it used to be in ancient OS 9 days. Maybe even 'user selectable.' There's a thought. Jaguar had closer spacing than Panther \ , Tiger brought icons back closer, to about Jaguar horizontal spacing. In my mind, having ability or option to put icons closer is a 'good thing' for the...
I agree that the iPod Back-to-School Edu. promo seems designed to "move product" and get current generations of iBooks and iMacs (and Mac Minis?) off the education dealer shelves and supplier channels. It runs till September 24. That would be the thing to do if Apple plans to introduce new models in the month or so after, in October + time frame, and doesn't want old model stock to contend with. Looking at the 'Know when to buy your Mac' site, which tracks Mac models...
One other point: The speed and stability improvement of OS X 10.2 Jaguar are great over 10.1. It was a worthy upgrade (I didn't like v 10.1). Panther is even Better: The substantially improved user interface speed and responsiveness of 10.3 Panther, as well as a much more stable Finder in Panther makes it an even more worthy upgrade. Depending on your machine, Panther could make OS X seem to 'scream' compared to early 10.1 versions. In my experience 10.3 is very...
Another option for applying Firmware updates: If you have previously partitioned your primary HD, you can install an earlier version of OS X on a different partition, reboot from it and run the updaters there. For myself, I have a second partition with 10.2.6 that i can switch and boot from. (Actually, I have 5 partitions, but that is another story/thread :^) This should work for anyone with an available partition/volume. (Of course, this may not be an option...