or Connect

Posts by shompa

I have had every single model of iPhone. The iPhone4 was the only phone I had replaced 3 times because of the home button. The double tap for multitasking switching killed the button. People actually use the phones!
Why are companies competing in doing higher then retina displays? The eyes cant see the difference. More pixels = more battery more GPU/CPU recourses. But this is typical nerd/PC era thinking. 441PPI is better then 330PPI. 2Meg >1Meg. WAP > SAP and so on. They forget that 99% of the consumers don't care. They want to know how its makes the device more useful to them. Still... Galaxy S4 is the only Android I would buy today.
From tapeout to production its at least 6 month! For example X86 at least 12 month. Even with risk wafers they would never get SoCs into production before October. (To many uneducated news reporters that talk about Intel, TSMC, Samsung and so on... Its not just to move production. A new tapeout is required for each manufacture redesign of the SoC to meet the specific manufactures rules. Apple need 50-70K wafer starts per month. People have to understand how much that...
Apple don't want fragmentation. They also have special DSPs in their A class SoC. Its alas cheaper use their own design they using an outside partner. Most Android OEMs have to buy SocS. For example: The Tegra 2 cost 15 dollar to produce and was sold for 25. A5 cost 25 dollar to produce, but Apple could use 40% more SoC real estate. That was one of the reason why A5 blew the Android SoCs out of the water. (Neon SIMD, Dual channel DDR controller, faster GPU, special DSPs...
This have been impossible before, since Intel didn't have fab capacity to accommodate Apple. But Intel lost over 30% market share last year and their last report had that they used their fabs 50%. The only reason why Intel would agree to do this with Apple is if Apple signs a new 5 year deal to use X86 chips in their computers. This would hinder wide adaption of ARM in ordinary computers. If Apple released and ARM based computer: that would show the industry that ARM...
The analytics are so retarded (or calculating). Apple already spend over 12 billion on tooling. That is more then Intel for example. Now they believe that Apple have to double it. There is no evidence for it. The short term analytics investors wants Apple to pay dividend, buy shares, Iprefs and so on. All things that HURT AAPL long term. They complain that Apple stuff is to expensive. "Apple is doomed". When Apple's margins goes down because their stuff is less expensive...
There is almost a billion of Apple shares in circulation. Splitting it would mean that there is to many shares driving the price down. I hate these short time investors that want Apple to pay dividend/buy back shares. Look what it have got Apple today. Just look at 1985 and history how it almost killed Apple. Instead of one dividend, Apple could buy/build a foundry and make its own chips. A must in a world where Samsung have lower costs since they produce all their own...
Intel could produce A series chips. But please understand that Apple would need almost ALL of Intels 22nm manufacturing capacity. Intel don't have the capacity. People seems to forget that Apple needs 50K 22nm wafers starts / 70K 28/32nm wafer starts each month. Apple should buy a fab from Global Foundries.
The problem is that Apple would need all of TSMC capacity. Apple needs almost 70K wafer starts per month. Thats more then 1 fab line! BTW. Remember that TSMC had trial runs of A6 in june 2011. Yield problems. Apple's SoC team have tons of work to do. First the A5 32 nm shrink, then the A5X, A6 32nm, A6X 32nm. I personally don't understand why TSMC would manufacture A6/X. Apple needs to do a new tape out for TSMC. Why not instead do a A7 SoC with PowerVR Rouge? That is...
I have said it many times: The one thing I hate about Apple as an investor: Apple gives their executives huge amount of free shares. This dilutes the shares for all the other owners and the market sees as a negative when an executive sells shares. "they don't believe in the company". Apple should do this: They should buy the shares on the open market (= not dilute the shares for all other) they should buy double the amount and shred the other shares. This means that...