or Connect

Posts by cpm

[quote]I can design a better iMac... I refer to my sig picture... E PLURIBUS UNIX ---------------------------
Yep! Put the processor, HD (2.5 inch), memory, optional Airport card and battery into the iMac monitor (touchscreen) - and it wouldn't be any thicker than the PowerBook G4. Use the base (pod) of the iMac as a station for the CD-ROM/DVD, power supply, extra ports (USB, Firewire, Ethernet, Modem), etc. When attached, the pad (monitor) uses...
Perhaps Jobs had a hissy fit after Time Canada's little snafu last night, so TW (CNN) is now giving him a hard time. Or, Lou's just jealous and pissed that his own foray into the tech industry (what was it, space.com or something like that) turned out to be a complete waste of time. [ 01-07-2002: Message edited by: cpm ]

Perhaps Jobs had a hissy fit after Time Canada's little snafu last night, so TW (CNN) is now giving him a hard time. Or, Lou's just jealous and pissed that his own foray into the tech industry (what was it, space.com or something like that) turned out to be a complete waste of time. [ 01-07-2002: Message edited by: cpm ]

[quote]Originally posted by FERRO: Here is a MAJOR thought... Why such a LARGE halo around the screen?????? Answer = to have something to hold unto!!!!!!!!!! Now I am excited...!!!! E PLURIBUS UNIX ----------------------------- [ 01-07-2002: Message edited by: FERRO ]
I was just thinking that too.
So explain why the monitor needs a rather large, protruding hook to attach it to the CPU. [ 01-07-2002: Message edited by: cpm ]

Pure conjecture here, but notice the U shape of the clip that connects the monitor to the base of the iMac. I would believe that the ONLY reason this is necessary would be to make the monitor easy to reattach after disconnecting it. Also, the monitor looks a little bit "thick," and the length of the clip looks just short enough to be tucked away into the monitor if necessary. I'm thinking detachable webpad here.
Where are the speakers on this new iMac?
[quote]If OS X was released for x86, does that mean all our Carbon and Cocoa apps would run perfectly?
Cocoa apps would, I'm not sure about Carbon though. I think Apple is touting Cocoa as the future of development for the platform, and Carbon is more a of transition for apps from OS 9 to X.
[quote]Standard markup in the computer industry is about 25%. The more expensive the machine, the lower the margin. You do the math. If people are willing to pay $299 for WindowsXP, then, people would be willing to pay $299 for OS x86. __________________ -TheRoadWarrior
Well, the lower the price of the machine, the lower the gross margin ($ wise, not percentage). I'd venture a guess that the percentage margins on Apple's high end machines are...
Windows XP home edition is $200. Having looked at some somewhat recent Apple filings (1Q 2001) though, their CPU unit sales are 751,000 with a total gross margin of $385 million. That's about $512 per machine. Note that the gross margin includes everything (hardware, software, etc.), so it's anybody's guess as to how much margin they make per CPU. It could be a little bit lower, or could be drastically lower, perhaps someone has some more information. It would...