or Connect

Posts by waybacmac

Hmmm…wouldn't that be just nasty if someone was deliberately spreading credible but baseless rumors about future Apple products and features knowing that Samsung would rush something into production, thus causing Samsung to waste time, money, and resources not to mention damaging its fine, upstanding reputation for quality products? /s
OMG was never so appropriate.   I'm old fashioned. A bronze statue of a young Steve Jobs sitting cross-legged with a 128k Mac (like the iconic photo) is more to my liking. Or perhaps an aluminum statue of an older Steve Jobs sitting cross-legged with a 128k Mac, iPod, iPad, and iPhone.
I disagree! A story like this is going to be picked up by every news source in the world and splattered on every headline. You just have to replace the word "Samsung" with "Apple"... 
 1) The graphic above shows a size of 35.4 MB; the file I downloaded to my 4S weighed in at 1.1GB. Hmmm. 2) A couple of hours before I learned about this update, I listened to the 19 Feb episode #443 of Security Now (on the TWiT network) where Steve Gibson described a significant security hole in iOS and Android where apps don't check the certificates used by websites for SSL connections. "What that means is that they're accepting SSL connections and not checking to see if...
 This is why I look forward to the Galaxy Tab getting into the hands of real users, from geeks to newbies. That's when the fancy ads bump up against reality. Users discover what really can be done and what can't, whether it's the lack of an app, the stability of the system, the endurance of the battery, etc. The truth will out and users will vote with their wallets.
 Did everyone catch John Lassiter's name in the credits as Coach?
One thing the analysts can't measure is the number of iPhones that were and still are being purchased by Chinese travelers for themselves, relatives, and friends back in China.I think that could add up to an impressive number.
 This may not be an issue in always-sunny-short-sleeve-casual-California, but I learned the hard way that a sharp edge on a watch case will do a really good job of fraying the sleeve cuff of an expensive dress shirt.
 This might be a good chance for me to share a tip on how to improve the accuracy of Touch-ID by "overtraining" the sensor. This is better explained at the Gibson Research Corporation website https://www.grc.com/intro.htm operated by Steve Gibson of the Security Now podcast, part of Leo Laport's TWiT network. Specifically, you want episode #440, Listener Feedback #182, of 28 Jan 14 (https://www.grc.com/securitynow.htm).  Just so no one gets any wrong ideas, this is not an...
You are right, Microsoft did go with the subscription model for a reason and it is not the individual consumer (though there is the $99 Home Premium edition). The main customer targeted is (ta-ta) The Enterprise - big business, Fortune 500, whatever you want to call it. The subscription model is just a variation of mass licensing but better. For much less than $99, businesses get to install Office (Windows or Mac) on any number of computers over 25 (I believe). Being a...