or Connect

Posts by Shameer Mulji

This is how MS views their Surface products;   http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/10/windows8-laplet-hybrid/   Yes..a laplet.  it can be a laptop when you want it to be for office productivity work and a tablet when you want it to be for more "fun" stuff.  If anything, I guess it can be cheaper than buying a separate laptop and tablet device.  But at the end of the day only the market (and time) will decide if this will turn out to be a success.  I'm optimistic that it...
That depends on how you define usable.  If by usable you mean, that the app was written from the ground up to take advantage of the multi-touch UI, then yes iWork more than likely is more usable than Office on RT, even though Office will have a touch mode. If by usable you mean functionality, then I disagree.  I have yet to see any other productivity software out there (with the exception of Keynote) that can the functionality of Office. Remember too, the version of...
"While I don't think Surface will in anyway compete with iPad....."   Make no mistake, this is definitely going to compete head-to-head with the full-sized iPad.  MS is not hiding that fact.   "Personally, I think they're way too late to seriously challenge Apple."   I don't agree.  The mobile device war is just starting to heat up.  Even though tablet sales are growing faster than traditional pc / laptop sales, they don't make up more than 20% of the overall pc / device...
I totally agree with what you said.  Considering the amount of people that use Office, I'm sure there are many people who want a device like this - enterprise users and college students being two groups of people.
"Despite the fact that it's an over-priced PoS,..."   Actually, when you compare apples to apples the Surface is competitively priced.  For $599, you get 32GB of storage, Touch Cover / keyboard, Office Home & Student Edition for Windows RT.  A $599 iPad gets you Retina Screen, 32GB of storage, no productivity software, no smart cover / keyboard. This is a great solution for college students that want a tablet or device that's highly portable and need to crank out reports...
The final "full" version for Windows RT will be released in November, from what I've been reading. The version for x86 will be officially released, early next year
According to a QnA on Reddit with one of the Surface team members, it's 5.5 to 6.5%
I'm willing to bet there are key members of the media / tech blogs that are doing hand-on testing as we speak and reviews will be out by middle of next week.  I for one think the Surface looks like a very compelling device. 
To answer your question, when you buy a Metro app on one Windows 8 / RT device it will work across all Win8 / RT devices.  The only exception being Windows Phone 8.  With Apple it's different.  They have universal apps for iPhone / iPad but you pay again for the Mac version.
Nobody is forcing Apple to do anything. Obviously they can port their software to any platform they want or not.  But here's the thing - come this time next year Xbox Music will be on Windows 8, Windows Phone 8, iOS & Android.  If MS can do it, why not Apple?