or Connect

Posts by dysamoria

So what? PC laptops have had finger print sensors for ages. It was a fad that died off (because it wasn't done well before). Now it's resurrected again to compete with Apple (now that they have Apple's product as a popular successful model upon which to base their new attempts, they can try again and call it "innovation").
Unless educational software updates run differently from end user software, and unless they are maintained long term (I have endless examples of abandonware on my iPhone), this point is a good one. The lifespan is seriously hampered by OS upgrades. iOS 7 and 8 are perfect, relevant, recent examples. Even three years is bad. The investment is typically in computers that last five years, and everything else (non tech) that lasts way longer.
I feel like they should have used the donation on something else. As is, it basically turns the donation into an Apple product entrenchment program. I wonder if the money was always going to the school this way (ie: donating x amount of dollars IN PRODUCT). I'm all for iPad over the other guys' me-too devices, but this isn't a financial donation at this point. Surely there are good teachers or educational programs that could be taken on board to improve the curriculum,...
Well, I'm extra glad I don't care about Twitter...
There's no mystery here. The huge glut of sales only lasts as long as it takes for everyone that wants one, and can afford one, to discover they want one and then buy one. No market grows perpetually. Any capitalist that behaves with such a belief (that increases can be perpetual) is a fool. Of course, that's most of Wall Street. Don't worry, we poor pee pull are still working up to it. I'm slated to buy mine this week finally (after iOS 7 put me off last year). In the...
Cool. If I could afford it, this gadget would tell me all the places I'm losing heat in my crappy house I wish I could sell.
This is a good thing. Every time I see something labeled as free, when I know better, it makes me irritated to think I've been fooled before and that vast economies exist explicitly via misdirection and outright lies. Just like all the misdirection on labeling at the grocery store. I hate it. I want things to state what they are. I don't want companies trying to fool me. I will shun a company for all time when I see overt misdirection in their marketing, especially when I...
When a government characterizes privacy as the enemy, that government has become the enemy of its people. The same goes for corporations (they want to know everything about you and have access to you everywhere at all times, but for different reasons; you're not a potential enemy, but a potential source of money). At this point, I'm probably on all the watch lists for daring to speak against capitalist greed and out of control government, in public. Luckily I'm poor and...
This is all so very encouraging. /s I'm about to pull the trigger on buying an iPad Air 2. The last time I almost bought an iPad was the iPad Air when iOS 7 came out. I played with it in an Apple Store for over 45 minutes and it was abysmal. App crashes on load. GUI problems (beyond the ugliness and foolishness of iOS 7's redesign). Hell, even the notes app was repeatedly crashing on trying to delete notes. I walked out disgusted that Apple had ruined the best mobile...
First sentence teases those Mac Pro owners wanting a retina display for their Macs. It's not a display. It's an integrated computer, with laptop-style parts that will likely suffer premature heat death on the GPU, after a few years of pro-level use of GPU and CPU, if recent history MacBooks are any example. Not interested.