or Connect

Posts by Banyan Bruce

All they need to do cover the logo with the biggest piece of dayglow tape they can. Make the cover up as conspicuous as possible, for under the day glow tape beats the heart of innovation and quality, Apple. It's so good, rivals are even afraid of the logo.
Until these are standard text books from the likes of Pearson's or Collins et al for ALL subjects, this will always be a promising sideline. We committed to ebooks with disastrous results, mind you that was via Kerboodle and AQA so I suppose we deserve everything we get.
If it plays Flash, it's dead in the water for many schools. A bit extreme I know but kids simply don't know how to use personal internet tools effectively or responsibly, after all they are just kids. Online Flash games make it necessary to severely restrict the use of the internet in most schools, as a result any device that relies on the internet for its key functionality is going to be strangled at birth.  
Numbers is awful and more eye candy than functionality. Pages and Keynote far easier to use and way ahead in of their MS offerings, word or powerpoint. Until Apple get Numbers functionality on par with Excel, they are never going to to break into the corporate IT world where the spreadsheet is king.
An iPad is just a tool and good teachers know when to use the right tool for the job. The iPad is not THE tool for all jobs, it's just one tool in a kit bags of learning instruments. If Apple is so keen to put iPads in front of students, they need to make them affordable and STAFF and STUDENTS need to be trained how to use them effectively as a shared and personal learning device. Getting rid of Flash has had many unforeseen benefits....numerous inane flash game won't...
Just hope my 4s lasts that long...as I see little compelling reason to upgrade to the 5 or 5s at the moment.
 This did make me chuckle.... The real world can't afford to update kit with every whim and tremor of technology. A stylus is essential for so many jobs which the iPad could be capable of doing admirably, I can't understand why Apple haven't already made one charged us the Earth for it. The finger is great for making impressions in wet clay tablets but as a real, ACCURATE writing or sketching tool on an iPad, it's bloody useless.
This does put desktop computing in perspective, especially when you realise that the vast majority of this user base is corporate. Yes it's true mobile is the growing market but within corporations where real number crunching and documents get generated, windows is still king. Unfortunately that will not change until Apple offers a serious contented for Office and Excel in particular. OSX really hasn't made a big dent in the corporate market if these numbers are to be...
The cost and inaccessibility (or lack of universal access) restricts the usefulness of some excellent textbooks on iBooks. Apple aren't really that serious at getting these books into mainstream education. When money is tight, the folk with the money and students they support wish for Apple products, but purchase MS and Google, simply because Education spending is purely cost driven and generally has little or no sense of value for money. That being said, Apple don't help...
This is often is the case, the best solutions are often obvious, once exposed, usually the simplest and often overlooked. Simplicity and elegance itself. Just think about velcro and post it notes.