or Connect

Posts by Vaelian

Not games, the only reason why I have a Windows partition at all.
What's wrong with 10.10?
There seems to be a lot of confusion in this thread regarding the representation of versions, which has nothing to do with the representation of decimal numbers. Traditionally (though many people don't follow this norm), version numbers are represented such that the , , and versions can be easily expressed through a dot notation such as ... This notation is similar, but totally unrelated to, the representation of IP...
That's ridiculous. I'm just stating my opinion, I'm not a client for any of those products. I'm a urban digital nomad, my MacBook Pro is my desktop and everything I need. I'm not saying either product is needed, only that if they have to have a modular product, at least let that be the Xserve.
Did you stop discussing technical merits because the subject is no longer convenient to you? Linux succeeds because it's something anyone can easily add their crap to, even I've done it myself as part of a port to PDA nearly a decade ago, not because it's technically superior. Linux's support for real time multithreading is crap as it suffers from inverted priority issues resulting from lacking POSIX compliance; likewise, Linux's support for asynchronous IO is also crap...
Not really, Linux is not properly suited for all the tasks, has design issues, is not POSIX compliant, and no Linux distribution integrates seamlessly with OS X or Apple's ecosystem. While you can make that happen, it is, again, not seamless, thus justifying investment in the hardware, which is a lot cheaper than human resources.And the Mac Pro isn't?
Was hoping for this to be something more serious and immersive like Infinity Blade, since I missed the first Temple Run, but after watching videos of people playing it, I'm not too impressed. I mean I may still buy both games, but what I'm really drooling for is Infinity Blade: Dungeons.
Dude, in case you haven't noticed, the Mac Pro IS a server, it's just built into a tower rather than into a proper rack-mountable box. Those CPUs are designed with reliability in mind; they emphasize things that you don't really need in a workstation but pay premium for in a Mac Pro, such as multi-socket installations, ECC memory, and lower temperatures. These things are important in servers that run 24/7 and can actually extract some benefit from parallel processing to...
It's about Apple's ecosystem, not me. I think the Xserve makes a lot more sense than the Mac Pro, first because currently Apple has no standard-sized rack-mountable server option that one can easily stuff in a data center, and secondly because the modularity that made the Mac Pro relevant can now be accomplished through Thunderbolt (and is also present in the Xserve).
It's rackable, which makes it better for clustering (I've already answered to this). For stuff that doesn't need the computational power of a cluster, you have the MacBook Pro.