or Connect

Posts by Vaelian

That would have been a good point had it actually been true, which it wasn't, because I mentioned, for example, the fact that WebProcess never stops growing, even long after the system is swapping everything, including WebProcess itself.What did I not back up?Or perhaps you fail to understand the provided evidence due to ignorance. How about this? I can be condescending too!
Bugs are acceptable; posting bullshit to excuse them, however, is not, especially when the people coming up with the bullshit don;t even know what they're talking about. If you're going to make stuff up to a guy who has actually experience with operating system implementations, at least make sure what you're making up makes some sense, otherwise you're very easy to refute. I asked you to quote a source of your speculation, you failed to do that.
And how does Safari determine whether RAM is available considering that the operating system does not inform you about that at the lowest level? Also, why would Safari resort to a private cache 9n the RAM rather than a shared cache in the filesystem that the kernel can then manage in accordance to the availability of memory on the system? Do you have any sources for your speculation about Safari's cache? Because what you are suggesting does not sound anything like...
Presenting the thread with evidence was not the point, it only became the point once you started to question my claim with a condescending tone.
Essentially, free ram in your system is just a wasted resource that can be used to speed up access to the filesystem, so modern operating systems use almost all your free RAM for that purpose, leaving only a small portion of RAM actually free for allocations. When an application needs RAM, the operating system gives it parts of the truly free space and then shrinks the filesystem cache in the background in order to keep a reasonably sized free block to prevent slowing...
I made a viable case, it's not my fault that you ignored half of what I said, like when I mentioned all the swapping as well as the increasingly growing size of the process. I'm sorry but there's no way you can spin this in your favor.
SolipsismX, I'm a software engineer, most likely with more experience in operating system development than you, so drop the condescending tool least you find yourself humiliated. I know what a memory leak is.Good, because you make it sound like otherwise.Ambiguous yes / no question; both answers would be "no", with the correct long version being "no, the memory is never released to the system". Notice that I did mention that Safari does that even with all of its windows...
An app with 8GB of privately allocated RAM with no windows open that keeps growing is hardly "using" it. This morning I couldn't even enter my password to resume OS X before it went back to sleep due to all the swapping.Other people have, the glitches remain for them. I don't have scrolling issues.EDIT: As I was typing this, Safari was already eating 3GB of RAM and keeps growing:Code:PID COMMAND %CPU TIME #TH #WQ #POR #MREGS RPRVT RSHRD RSIZE VPRVT...
Now if only they could fix the rendering issues and memory leaks that have been plaguing Safari on MacBook Pros when using integrated graphics since the release of Mountain Lion, that would be truly awesome.
Excuse me, but why do they *NEED* to get everyone to use the new connector? What can it do that the 30-pin connector can't? I can tell you something it can't do and the 30-pin connector can: stream composite / component AV.