or Connect

Posts by Vaelian

People buy general-purpose products like smartphones for lots of different reasons. I, for example, have absolutely no use for most of the functionality on my iPhone beyond its GPS and being an iOS developer. Had it not been for the extremely good GPS coupled with Google's extremely reliable maps and I would have probably never cared about the Apple ecosystem at all, so you can pretty much say that Google Maps coupled with Apple's GPS implementation essentially sold me a...
The phone enables and disables the GPS from time to time in order to perform geofencing probes; this is normal. What was not normal was that in some cases an iPhone 4S' GPS wouldn't suspend at all, wasting ~15% of battery per hour. That said, I'm not sure how much iOS 6 uses the GPS since I've never actually used iOS 6 on my iPhone (had it on my iPad during the beta but downgraded back to 5.1.1 when it launched precisely because of Maps).
Apple had GPS issues of their own on the 4S. Most of the complaints about poor battery life stemmed from defective GPSes. A friend of mine got one of the affected phones, and her battery problems disappeared as soon as I told her to shut down Location Services (also told her to have the phone replaced, but she didn't appear to care enough). Not saying the problem is the same here, but your personal experience doesn't mean anything."Hi, I'm a Mac! And I'm a PC..."I...
That doesn't make me a customer. At most it makes Apple a customer. My use of the search service doesn't make me a customer either, quite the opposite, it makes me an asset.to the real customers (the advertisers).Who Apple subcontracts to get the job done is not my concern because it's not my choice.
Apple's Maps can't even find my street despite the fact that it's charted right there on the map. I'm sorry but there is no way a mapping service can suck any more than that, search is basic functionality, and if it doesn't work right it makes the entire service unreliable.Several reasons, really. I'm an Apple customer, not a Google customer, so Google is not required to serve me (just like Apple is not required to serve FaceTime or iMessage on other platforms and...
Plenty. It does not integrate with any of the other native apps (Calendar. Address Book, Reminders), you can not save pins on your phone, you can not add locations directly to contacts, you have to enable Location Services for Safari, your current position updates are extremely delayed since they are done remotely rather than locally and don't take advantage of the accelerometer, magnetometer, and gyroscope on top of being a lot more susceptible to network signal issues...
Wall socket? The point here is that charging the iPhone's internal battery using an external battery is less efficient than carrying a backup battery that can replace the battery in the phone without wasting all of its power recharging 60% of the phone's battery.
If it doesn't, then how do I easily replace an iPhone's battery?So Apple defies physics now? How can you be more efficient than 100% efficiency? A significant amount of power is lost to heat when you charge a battery, which is why an external battery is a lot less efficient than an additional battery.What is this imaginary phone we're talking about? Why does it must have a crappy battery design? And when did I mention convenience?I've had phones that lasted over a week...
While it is indeed interesting stuff, it doesn't really sell me the phone as it's full of compromises and no meaningful advantages (but some meaningful disadvantages) compared to the 4S. Regarding the ability to remove the battery, if you can't see a use for that, you're extremely narrow minded. The irreplaceable battery is a shortcoming on any phone, as it prevents people from carrying extra fully charged battery replacements. While there are third-party accessories in...
OK, dude, but don't forget that language evolves! There's also no need to go out of your way to tell me your gender and rough age unless you're looking for something else...If I implied, I did not state, and I did not enroll in the program to test anything other than my own code on current and upcoming platforms, be able to run stuff I write that would never get accepted in the App Store on my own devices, and report bugs that prevent my own code from working on those...