or Connect

Posts by Vaelian

The only thing that's actually misleading here is your use of a confused cause and effect fallacy as an argument.  Smart phones gained popularity because of the iPhone, not the other way around.  You also had people using high-end Nokias and BlackBerries, which were smartphones, and despite that, their designs did not survive or had to change after the iPhone came out, whereas the iPhone retains essentially the same design.   There is no evidence or reason to believe that...
I really don't like the idea of actions that have an effect on my Apple ID not requiring a password.  Free apps are still added to my list of purchased apps, so as long as this information continues to be recorded to my account, I think a security check must be present.  This is not the same as simply installing the app, I'm not concerned about that, it's fine if people browse my collection of purchased apps and install something that I don't have there, but that doesn't...
Any EU citizen can file a complaint against a member state if they feel that EC directives are not being implemented correctly, and if after evaluation by the European Commission, the member state is found to not be complying, they will be fined until compliance is verified.   EDIT: Furthermore, EU citizens affected by a member state's lack of compliance are entitled to redress.
Actually the implementations are supposed to be similar since they are transposed from Directive 99/44/EC which covers all cases of lack of conformity for two years regardless of when they are detected so long as lack of conformity is reported within two months of the time of detection (Article 5).  Since all member states are supposed to have transposed this directive by 2002-01-01, Apple is essentially violating consumer protection laws in all EU member states,  It is,...
Same here.  In the beginning I found inverted colors to be uncomfortable and didn't really get the point, but then I started to customize everything to have a white background (which includes reversing the colors on Terminal so that they look right when colors are inverted and properly contrasted when they aren't), and now I use inverted colors all the time, only reverting to normal when I need to see images or watch videos as it's a lot easier on the eyes.  Even on iOS...
Holy cow, had to read this to realize that there was already a way to lock dragging with the trackpad (which by default is annoying as hell).
I'm Portuguese, born and raised in Lisbon, with normative Portuguese being my native language, accent, and dialect; and despite that, Siri has absolutely no trouble understanding me, not even in noisy environments.  As a matter of fact, dictation has fully replaced the on-screen keyboard for me when I'm inputting text in English, with the only errors being related to my use of words that Siri is not expecting in the context of my conversations, such as technical terms....
  As I mentioned in my post (which I suppose you read), I have actually tried a few of these OEM hybrids before and have always been dissatisfied for a number of reasons, ranging from the use of TN screens, to the use of resistive touch screens, to lack of proper support from the OS (Windows 7 isn't exactly ideal for a tablet), to lack of mobile connectivity, to lack of GPS, etc.  All the tablets I tried were either too focused into being cheap netbooks with tablet...
Contrary to some people here who think their own needs in some way represent everyone's needs, I do see a place for a netbook + tablet hybrid, even an ARM-based version of it, especially one with Microsoft Office installed.   An iPad is a content delivery platform, and not always an optimal one at that, as the lack of physical controls makes it unsuitable for most kinds of hardcore handheld gaming, and even simpler tasks such as chatting online can be quite...
The only reason why I've upgraded from the iPad 2 is because of tethering (data-only plans are unlimited where I live, contrary to voice+data plans; the iPad's battery lasts much longer than the iPhone's; and even if the battery runs out due to Internet usage I don't lose the ability to make calls), and the only reason why I buy iPads at all is because they entertain other people so I don't have to.  The Retina display is nothing special; sure it makes reading a much...