or Connect

Posts by reefoid

No, I don't see anything wrong with that.  Every single one of Samsung's component customers know that Samsung competes with them in the consumer sector.  If they then choose to continue to use Samsung as a supplier, how is that Samsung's fault?  All of their customers have a choice, if they don't like it use a different supplier.  Its called a free market.
And who, exactly, has the authority to tell Samsung what they can/can't make?  Its Apple's decision to continue to have components manufactured by Samsung, no-one's forcing them.  If they don't like it, they can go and find someone else to do it.  If they can't find anyone else who can manufacture to the quality/quantity required, then that's unfortunate but a pill they have to swallow.
I don't think anyone is saying he shouldn't defend his own articles, that's every blogger's/journalist's right.  But many of us find it quite disingenuous when he uses a pseudonym to respond and often refers to the author of the article in the third person.  He claims to be a serious journalist so perhaps he should start having having the balls to be fully open about who he is.  There are many posters on these forums who have no idea that Corrections is DED, and new...
You're one of the more balanced posters in these forums, but you should have thought this one through.  As the father of a teenager who has ASD, your implication that people with autism aren't normal is offensive, whether it was meant as a joke or not.  You are aware that there is likely a 100% probability that there are members of this forum who are autistic?
Move to the UK then Our country might be slowly falling apart but we have pretty decent phone tarrifs.  I always buy my phones sim free and am currently paying £9.99/month (about $15) for a sim-only deal with Three for 200 mins talktime, 3000 texts and unlimited data.  They're currently rolling out their LTE network which will be unlimited as well for no extra cost.  That's a rolling monthly contract as well, so if a different carrier can offer me a better deal, I can...
All of your arguments are based on the assumption that people will want to wear GG at all times, which I don't think will be the case.  Like any other gadget, you'll use them when required.  Need to get somewhere?  Put them on, walk there, take them off.  Want to video chat?  Start a hangout, have a chat, take them off.  Battery time alone will limit how much you can wear them.   I'm still undecided about them.  They definitely will work as a niche product, but whether...
Can't find the article now, I think I've got it bookmarked at home so will post it up later.   In fairness to you, the bit you bolded may be incorrect (near full retail price - me bad!!) but it is definitely a heavily inflated price that is meant to reduce their tax bill in each country.  Its standard practice for multi-nationals.  As was mentioned above, Starbucks do the exact same thing.  Their Swiss subsidiary buys the contracts for coffee beans from the growers and...
You're correct, except Apple UK makes almost zero profit on their sales as the price they pay the Irish subsidiary for hardware is way above wholesale.  That's the whole point, Apple Ireland buys direct from China and they then sell to each country at almost full retail price to reduce their tax bill in those countries to almost zero.  And because of the Irish setup, they pay almost zero tax there as well.   I'm not saying you're wrong, or criticising Apple, but just...
Exactly.  Its no coincidence that DED's article appear at weekend's when these forums are pretty dead.  AI need to get traffic to get those ad impressions.  That's totally understandable, they need to pay the bills.  However, bearing that in mind you should always take his posts with a grain of salt as they are written purely to get as much controversy going as possible and to hell with truth and objectivity.
You are correct in that UK companies use Ireland's low tax rate to minimise their tax bill.  However, Apple go one step further, as detailed here.  Basically Apple have a subsidiary that all of their non-US sales are routed through that is incorporated in Ireland, managed and controlled in the U.S. but not tax resident in any country.Again, nothing wrong with that legally and I would expect Apple to do that as the rules currently allow it.  If governments aren't happy with...