or Connect

Posts by pfisher

It's documented in John Bogle's book, "The Little Book of Common Sense Investing." Index funds will outperform managed funds over time. With that said, I have Vanguard Wellington Admiral Shares which is managed, but has done well for decades and is pretty cheap.
  Apple has grown a lot. People may be wondering if the machine is going to slow down. There are other stocks out there from other companies that don't have the popularity of Apple.  Also, I don't watch TV (not for about 8 years) and I've never seen CNBC. I do read the WSJ on Saturdays. It's clear I didn't have any evidence for what I wrote. It's conjecture. I said "we don't know" what the future holds. I know enough about investing from reading John Bogle's books and...
Personally, I see a lot of risk buying Apple. Too much of their profit hinges on the iPhone. They've done well this year, due to a bigger phone which a lot of people wanted and it drew people from Android. How do we know Apple hasn't plateaued? We don't. It very well not be any kind of growth stock, In a way it doesn't appear to be a growth stock due to dividends being given out. Apple may come under pressure to lower prices as it completes against itself for its own...
The watch will probably do "okay", but not be a huge new category of product that a lot of people will want. Unless Apple has a big card or many cards up its sleeve, the iPhone has probably reached its apex in sales. Tablet sales are already lame. Apple stock will probably flatline or decline in the coming years. Come a decent stock market correction, it may go down a good 30% and not recover. I'd almost literally eat my hat if Apple stock goes up 10% more in the coming 2...
Everyone should be afraid of Apple. It's been the most disruptive company in history when it comes to business and changing our lives. Even without Jobs at the helm back in the late 80s and the early 90s. Sure, it lacked the magic then, the person to refine and say yes and no to projects...   We just won't know about the watch and what impact it has.   However, to most people:   1. It is too expensive (bang for the buck - just an iPhone extension (which HAS its...
I've noticed that after 35 years and in the years of Steve's passing, Apple has been showing how to jump the shark. From buying Beats to showing up on Mad Money to cheesy and embarrassing product announcements (iWatch) to putting crap apps on my phone. iWatch app on our phones? We can't delete? Really? And when I restart my phone, the music app defaults to pointing me to iTunes radio, losing where I left off to what music I was listening to? Apple? Are you trying too...
You can almost tell when Apple leaks info. That iPad screen that turned out to be the new MacBook screen? Apple leak. Guaranteed.  Apple yells "Squirrel!" and all of the press and Apple fan sites go nuts. Of course, the WSJ has been the official mouthpiece Apple for some time (not sure about now). Dalrymple? He's entertaining to the point to hearing about guitars and Heineken and his beard, but reminds me of one of those friends in high school who didn't know much, but...
Why not let people delete these Apple apps rather than have a separate location to keep them?
This is an amazing machine, but some things bother me:   1. Why resort to a crappy camera and a slow processor just to have your thinness? 2. Same for ports. They could have added one extra port. How hard is that? 3. If you are not going to add ports, why not offer a cheaper dongle? Or offer it with the machine? (We know they will never let that happen - it's giving up easy money.   So, there is your tax for thinness: crappy camera, slow processor and a extra dongle...
Wasn't technology intended to make our lives easier?   Easier and more work with a laptop. Easier and more work with a smartphone.   Now we have a tethered watch to charge and maintain every night.   Simplifying and improving our lives through complexity?