or Connect

Posts by Vorsos

We are more likely to see improvements to the AirPlay protocol that reduce latency.   OpenFeint predated Game Center, but where are those two now? The keyword is 'dedicated,' as in first party support. Developers generally prefer a standardized target, as evidenced by the countless announcements akin to "Android port delayed due to holy balls fragmentation."   True that. I run GlimmerBlocker (system-level) and several Safari extensions that block tracking from Facebook,...
This does have the confusing add-on branding of Microsoft products and US television content ratings (TV Y, TV Y7, TV Y7 FV (fantasy violence), etc). If we are renaming, my vote is for EarTime or VoiceTime. Since the built-in Camera app now has filters, let's give EarTime vocal filters! Darth Vader or T-Pain?   Never assume.   Never assume that any random internet stranger has the same knowledge base as you, and never assume it's because they are just plain stupid....
Read this article, see it mention something that happened more than a few years ago, scroll up. Yep, author is DED. Always good for "a brief history of..."   What's wrong with OS X including NTFS write support? It would obviate my need to run a WinXP virtual machine.
iOS 6 already has the option to restrict certain automatic data when not on wifi.   I will most likely disable auto-updates, if only to not miss any pertinent info in the release notes. For instance, when a game adds new levels, or when OpenTable finally gets supported locations in my area.   Some apps do. I don't have actual specifics, just anecdotal evidence of >300MB games downloading their updates in ten seconds.   Bad press? People are paying attention to these...
We all have our own preferences and computational needs, but some people can't see past their own brain-meat and try to impose their needs on everyone. It happens in politics, humanist sciences, and everywhere else. Just look at the current-gen console debate. Neither console is superior on all fronts; they are based around different people's needs. Some people don't have reliable internet (hello, deployed military!) and others feel "invested" in the meaningless...
It hasn't really been a hassle. I've been using proxy in FCPX for the last year, and it's not perfect, but overall is much easier than anything I did under FCP7. Especially now that one of the recent X updates enabled the background export queue, because for some reason my Compressor 4 is slower than cold beans.   Maybe I just dove in from necessity, because my current hardware cannot support realtime 4-5K editing.
Novelty voices get old quick. Give me something professional with a hint of care, like GERTY (Kevin Spacey in Moon).   Not to mention Yelp is running the review equivalent of a protection racket. They are worse than the Better Business Bureau...   Beard? Y'know, since New Zealand's economy is now based on Tolkien/Jackson.   At least we can skip ads. It's always jarring going from Youtube to the unskippable ads on Hulu or MTV subsidiary video sites (South Park, Daily Show,...
Plenty of price speculation here, but little mention of the "Made in USA" premium. Unfortunately, while some consumers shout about buying domestic, their money is never where their mouth is when it comes time to compare prices.   As a reminder, OS X still supports disc burner sharing over a local network...   Preference and available cash can be very different. This will be expensive enough already.   Thunderbolt can daisy-chain. Plus, why are all those external drives on...
  I'd say the i7. Paging out active apps is much faster on an SSD, making more RAM less important for your use case. A faster processor will give you better battery life than more RAM: Faster calculations so the CPU goes into low-power state more often, vs keeping more RAM chips constantly powered.
  1995? So that's when "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo" came out! Michael Cioni talks 4K workflow and FCP proxies for The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo     v5v, don't be that guy. There's more to a professional video workflow than having a superiority complex. Proxies are ideal for uploading dailies to an editor halfway around the world, and for people with more to do than sit at a $4000+ workstation for the entire duration of editing.