or Connect

Posts by Durandal1707

Man, I know I shouldn't feed the trolls, but hey.You wouldn't.The Supreme Court, and Chief Justice Roberts, disagree with you.TS-speak for "I have no good reply to this"I fall in one of those categories, and I'm saying it right now: The ACA is a very good thing for me. So there goes that.Because of the ACA, I now have a health care plan that costs almost half of what my previous one did, that has better benefits than the one I had previously.
Without seeing the glitch in action, it's hard to determine whether the person quoted in the article (who himself was paraphrasing a statement by the pilot, from memory) may have misspoken and said "powered down" when what actually happened was that the device restarted.As for getting root access, I'd be pretty surprised if any iOS app were allowed to do that. Feel free to correct me (or call me an idiot, compare me to Hitler, grow 100 feet tall and green and go on a...
1. Objective-C isn't deprecated.2. Despite the hype around Swift, there's currently orders of magnitude more Objective-C code out there than Swift code.3. Swift is not ready for prime time yet. There are still a lot of C-based APIs that are impossible to use without putting an Objective-C shim in the middle, it still takes forever to compile, and the syntax hasn't stabilized yet. Swift is not yet suitable large, serious projects, however fun it may be to hobbyists.4. Even...
Because allowing a third-party app to crash the whole OS (the linked article says it caused the device to power down) is not a bug for an operating system in 2015?
It worked most of the places I tried it in Austria. A few times, I did get skeptical looks from merchants, but they'd usually just end up trying it anyway when I showed them the little Diner's Club logo on the back, and it usually worked. Yes, that's a bit of a PITA, but then again, having no foreign transaction fee made it worth it (to me, anyway). That was in Austria. Can't speak for the other countries, as I haven't been there. Austria's beautiful, though, so I...
On an Apple board? It should be. If you go through their "Discover Deals" portal, you can get 5% cash back on all online purchases made through the Apple Store. If you're buying something like a $2000 MBP, that's a non-insubstantial amount of change. If you do it in Q4 of the year, when their rotating category is usually "all Internet purchases", and combine it with that, it gets really nuts.Using it in person (domestically, anyway), Discover's fairly meh, unless you get...
They still haven't added transit directions to the thing? Wow.
If you read the source article, the author says that he knows it works at least as far back as Lion, because that's how far back he tested. He didn't test Snow Leopard, so whether it works there is unknown.At any rate, Snow Leopard has been officially unsupported since late last year, which means it's probably full of other security flaws that haven't been patched by now. You really should upgrade your Mac.
Intercept network traffic and steal your credit card information. Sniff through the swapfiles to find passwords to read password protected documents. Replace the software that pops up the password prompts, so that when you enter a password you give it to the bad guys instead. Disguise other malware to make it almost impossible to detect. Screw with the system keychain. Install malware so deep in the system that you'll never find it and root it out. Infect every single...
Accessing stuff in the current user's home folder has nothing to do with either admin or root access.