or Connect

Posts by pinkunicorn

The MacMini still lacks an Optical Drive. I'm not understanding where you're going to stick those DVD's...    I'm not trying to sound rude or sarcastic, but I don't understand why buying a $70 (or less newegg.com) external OD is such a break point? Why is this such an issue? I have printers, back up drives, portable drives, mice, an Avid keyboard that all use USBs and are not inside my All in One computer. That's never been a breaking point for me. Why is this such a...
  So you're upset that the iMac doesn't have a crummy, slow vertical disk drive, and are therefore going to buy a mini which also lacks an OD? Right...   I'm a film editor, and quite aware of the usefulness of an OD, but give it a year. H265, cloud storage, and cheaper portable drives will make an OD completely obsolete. 
THIS!   Hence why there are now 4 USB slots in the back of the iMac.   I do not, however, understand all of the people complaining about losing FW 800. It's stupidly slow in comparison to USB 3.0, and FW 800 really isn't all that different from USB 2.0. USB 3.0 drives are actually pretty affordable. Anyone who bought a HD with only FW is a moron, and if you were really serious about editing, you were using an ESATA and a MacPro. USB 3.0 will serve quite well...
I grow weary of this debate, but let me hopefully put and end to it here.   Apple has and always will be on the cutting edge of technology. The created and killed their own connector (firewire) with thunderbolt. They were the first to completely remove the floppy disk. Part of moving forward is not just adding the new, but subtracting the old. In this case, an optical drive.   1- The OD in the previous gen iMac was an outdated drive that was vertical, frequently had...
ALSO ALSO    I'm drooling over this computer over my 5yr old black MacBook, but I'm slightly reluctant to buy. I feel like a retina & haswell model is just around the corner (April-July) window. Anyone else agree?
Apple.com seems to indicate that you can get inside the 27in, but not the 21.5in.    It also seems to indicate that you can't get pure SSD storage in the 21.5in. WHY ARE YOU RUINING MY DREAMS APPLE? http://www.apple.com/imac/specs/ And it also seems to indicate that you either get 1tb ATA, 1tb fusion, 3tb ATA, 3tb fusion, or 768 flash. Do we have any mid range storage options. 256 ssd would be great. KKTHNX.    Also holy cow that's a thin desktop. The 27in model...
FCP7, yes please still use it, but how much longer? Maybe 2 years. FCPX may be used by some professionals, but NO ONE is cutting a feature length film on it. I mean the program dumbed down a lot of the capabilities that FCP7 had. Not to mention that Adobe Premiere came in and created a settings tab that practically duplicates FCP key commands. Premiere took the FCP7 market and the rest switched to Avid. True story.    I challenge your 2nd point for a number of...
  The bigger issue is that Apple shot themselves in the foot with FCPX. Say what you like about it, but I know not a single sole in the professional world that still edits on it. Avid and Sony Vegas both work on PC (Vegas exclusively). So if the top tier of Apple doesn't shine, than people are gonna peace out for a computer that does.    And yeah, when you're sorting through over 200 hours of footage, every second counts (albeit with 64mb programs, rendering is starting...
Well most of us hope that Apple does more than just stick an Ivy Bridge processor in there. USB 3.0 and a cheaper SSD option would be huge improvements for me. Do I do professional video editing work? Yes, but I am also planning to drop 1.5k or more on a computer. Is it weird to want the best possible for that price point? 
The comparison to the Power PC processors is a mute point. Apple was at a very different point in that time. They were not the powerhouse then that they are now.    Currently Apple is creating some powerful mobile chips with great success. It is only natural that their success in mobile chips will ultimately lead to desktop and laptop chips as mobile and traditional computing will eventually converge. Are we there yet? No. Will we be in 5 years?...