or Connect

Posts by lkrupp

Well it’s the world we live in now. Because of the Internet all the naysayers, critics, tech luddites, and such can create the impression of failure even in the face of success. The Macalope over at MacWorld is famous for outing these types and deconstructing their assertions to the point of ridicule and laughter.
 Suffice it to say I do not agree with your world view. Interesting that all your talk about ratios, reasonability, equity, fairness, etc. are completely subjective opinions begging again the question of who makes the decisions. Who decides when an individual’s “wants” exceed reason? Is it some universal constant that is obvious? Something we just know when we see it? Great that some CEO lowered his salary and raised his employees salaries to identical levels. What about...
All well and good but is Apple getting any kind of recognition for their efforts? Greenpeace has been pretty quiet about Apple lately. They scream, holler, and string up huge banners when they have a beef with Apple but refuse to say anything nice for stuff like this. Not a word on the story about Apple partnering to buy 36,000 acres of threatened forest land for sustainable packaging materials.   And are Dell, HP, Microsoft, Google being taken to task for their...
Oh put a sock in it, please. 
So that logic allows the government to confiscate by force from me what I “want” or “desire” and give it to someone else it has determined needs it. Nice. By the way, am I supposed to be on some kind of guilt trip because I live a more comfortable life than some others do? Have I won “life’s lottery” as some politicians like to term it? Instead of buying a new fishing boat should I just give the money to the boat factory workers so they don’t have to perform any physical...
Occam’s Razor... All things being equal the simplest answer tends to be the correct one. So what is the simplest answer to explain the “constrained” meme?   1. Apple vastly underestimated the demand for the new product and simply didn’t make enough.   2. The rumors about production problems are true.   3. The entire situation was engineered to create hype, stoke demand, stay in the headlines.
I’m always amazed by some Apple customers. They spend the money for a premium product and then go cheap on substandard cables and accessories that wind up damaging their premium hardware. They buy a $5 power adapter and it fries their Mac. Of course they then blame Apple for their issues. Happens almost every day on the Apple discussion forums. 
I was going to say that Benny Frost is probably spinning in his troll chair over this survey but he hasn’t been here in almost two weeks. I think maybe he gave up on us.
Far be it from me to be defending Google but if this is what the New World Order is going to be like then I’m against it. There’s a difference between fostering competition and manufacturing it artificially just to be “fair.” Google reached the position it’s in by being the best search engine ever invented. The rest, including Bing and Yahoo, have come and gone because they can’t hold a candle to Google’s algorithms. And if they can come after Google for this then they can...
Chess programs are mostly giant databases of past games played by humans. Opening moves, Mid-game and end-game moves are parts of huge databases of possible scenarios. In this case the grandmaster was likely using the iPod to pull up and analyze the situation, not tell him what his next move was. Contrary to your assertions that it’s 100% mind and computation it isn’t. The U.S. Chess Championship was held in St. Louis, Missouri (I live close to St. Louis and have visited...