or Connect

Posts by Escher

Phew! Glad this story ended well, tonton! At work I'm already forced to have passwords with 12 or more characters and 4 types of characters. But I have to admit that on the Internet, I should be just as careful, voluntarily and in my own best interest.
Thanks for taking the time to explain your aim, Tallest Skil. I'm sure you mean well. The only thing I will add is that there will always be "stupid" questions in any forum, whether it be electronic or in real life, like a classroom in high school. If the people in charge, e.g. moderators or teachers, over-react to "stupid" questions instead of addressing them kindly, this can create a hostile environment, which I doubt you want to create here either. In your imaginary...
Thanks, tonton. I see you're still very active in AO, whereas I've stuck to my "no politics, no religion" policy. Hope everything's still going well on your end. If you're still in HK (16 years!?!), there have to be enough good things to keep you there. Just like I've stuck with the States for 17 years now, save for the last 2.5 in Africa. Crazy to think that the current AI forum has been up for 10 years now (Nov 2001 - Nov 2011). Can't remember how many years of data we...
Not sure what having been recently registered, or not, has to do with a large volume of condescending and immature posts by a moderator. I haven't checked into AI in months, and just returned to find feedback on iTunes Match. I only read a few threads. But it struck me how TS's responses were consistently rude and condescending. Not a good example for forum members at all...Yeah, asking a previously-answered question is "particularly egregious!" What's with a moderator...
Of course not, TS! But some of the regression of features in the move from MobileMe to iCloud reminds me of Apple's screw-ups with some of the earlier versions of dot.Mac. The fact that iCloud doesn't offer functionality comparable to Apple's own iDisk, or DropBox -- which Apple tried and failed to buy -- is patently embarrassing. I'm on the same page as jawporta at this stage.This is coming from a fanboy who's been loyal to Apple for two decades, and has bought a dozen...
I have the same question as Manny and KazKam. I have some esoteric stuff in my iTunes library, mostly from lesser-known European bands, although all are ripped from CDs that I physically own. All of the stuff that I ripped from CD reliably pulled accurate metadata from CDDB or Gracenote. So I'm not worried about the metadata. But I guess if it's not available on the US iTunes Store, accurate metadata won't do me any good. What I'm also curious to find out is whether Apple...
Assuming that Apple continues selling unlocked iPhones after the iPhone 5 event on Tuesday -- and I certainly hope so -- the price of an unlocked iPhone will likely go down. However, the price for an unlocked phone, whether it is the old iPhone 4 or the new iPhone 4S/5, will likely still be astronomically high compared to the price for a a locked iPhone subsidized by a carrier with the (anticipated) revenue from a 2-year contract. After breaking my 1st generation iPhone,...
I am ready to buy an iPad, and I will. I didn't buy an iPhone (except for my wife), and I resisted the iPod touch and MacBook Air. The iPad proxides 90 percent of the functionality I would like. I do have one gripe... Why the fuck doesn't the iPad have a built-in camera for Skype?!?
I'm counting on it, Shawn!Good to see you, Amorph! Same feelings here. It feels almost like a college reunion. Even though I've never actually been to one of mine.
How funny. I was on vacation in Switzerland during the DNS problems at AN, so I missed the reunion here at AI. (Can't really read AN or AI on my CrackBerry.) But I came here to check out Temporary Insanity while waiting for MWSF announcements. Totally cool to see Dogcow post to the old post-Reality color scheme. Can't believe that I've been following Mac rumors for well over a decade now. Time flies, and I've been focusing my sporadic reading and posting on AN. Due to...