or Connect

Posts by Cosmos 1999

You don't get it. In fact I ideally think the same as you, but the real market don't think like us. 19" LCD are replacing 17" LCD in stores on the low-end (precedently occupied by 15" LCD), even if I, you, we want or don't want it. Is is a plain FACT. This 17" vs 19" is all about the low-end category. 15" don't exist anymore. Most people don't do as us, comparing number of pixels to size and dpi. They don't see that 17" and 19" are both 1280x1024, they rather see this...
I'm with you on this one, I think too that all these 19" have just bigger pixels and none advantage over 17", except perhaps with games and movies. But the fact is 17" begin to disapear across the PC market while 19" are becoming the standard: customers will soon consider 17" as old tech.
A 19" 1440x900 and a 21" 1680x1050 widescreen LCDs (ViewSonic and Gateway already got those panels) with integrated iSight would be welcome (even if 19" have the same resolution as 17", and 21" as current 20"). Expect a 24" replacement for the current 23" though.
Okay... didn't know that. It seems DDR2 interestingly uses some sort of "QDR calculation" but without being quad-pumped, weird. Because I don't see how say, PC2-3200, which is DDR2-400, could transfert 3200 GB/s @ only 100 MHz, being 64-bit wide. To me it must be clocked at 200 MHz (ther are 8 bits in 1 Byte).
RAM increases its frequencies too. Best RAM runs quite quick PC-3200 SDRAM (DDR-400) or PC2-3200 SDRAM (DDR2-400, more efficient) are double-pumped, so they run at 200 MHz. But on the high-end side, there is also PC-4800 (DDR-600) at 300 MHz, or even expensive PC2-8000 (DDR2-1000) at... 500 MHz. Intel FSBes just can't handle these (more exactly they could, but asynchronously and with a performance threshold). But you don't need to spend stellar amounts of money with...
Woodcrest can indeed be coupled, i.e. two SMP dualcores = quadcore in the high-end Mac Pro, whereas Conroe cannot (in fact it seems this feature is much more about the Woodcrest chipset rather than the processor itself, so perhaps a Woodcrest chipset could drive two Conroes?) But we forget another thing about Conroe vs Woodcrest inside lower-end Mac Pro (one dualcore) : the Front Side Bus. - Merom will have a 667 MHz FSB at launch (800 later) - Conroe will have a 1067...
Yeah Gene, WTF is that clever AMD processor you refer to on the portable front? Turion64 (Project Taylor) with Yamato platform? Current AMD Turion competed with Intel Pentium M. Now Intel Core Solo and Core Duo are out and have far better performance for about the same TDP. The dualcore variant of AMD Turion64 (Taylor and its 30W TDP, succeeded by Trinidad with its 60W TDP, both targeted for 2006) will still be manufactured with a 90 nm process. In this timeframe for...
I agree with you. But a X300 would not be very up-to-date with all these Core Solo PC laptops available in March/April of this year. With an Intel chipset, comparison between Mac vs PC is even more direct, while PowerPC motherboards were enough different to maintain too much differences to compare easily. But you could be right: a X300 is cheaper than a X1300.Well, the site you quoted claims the chipset is OG809456M. One guy thinks the "6" had been badly mystiped instead...
Radeon X300 is a pretty old ATI solution. While Apple often integrated uncompetitive ancient graphic cards in their computers (GeForce 5200 for example), now with Intel the times are changing: - Apple compete directly with the PC world, they cannot put bad cards anymore, - graphic interface in Mac Intel is PCI-express and not AGP anymore, this implies only modern GPUs. So it seems Apple finally get modern cards (cf. Radeon X1600 128/256MB in iMac and MacBook...
Could you please give us some link explaining this, because I can't find any information about the use of normal or low-voltage variant of CoreDuo in MacBook Pro.